Dakota Durango Forum banner

P0440

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  srt8durango 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever gotten this code before? my wife said she got the "engine" light mon. and Tues but it went off today. i checked it and there is a P0440 code, but I checked the list and I do not see a P0440 listed, any help on this one would be great

#2 ·
I think my truck has that code, i just have to go read it again..i have cleared a code out of my truck off and on for the past year or so.lol

It might have some thing to do with a small emission leak..my friend doesnt have the equipment to check more into it. So i just leave it alone for now.

#5 ·
Yea P0440 is a EVAP System Fault code, means there is prob a large leak somewhere. The 2 most likely culprits are the Vent Soleniod Valve and the gas cap.

#7 ·
True story, our 04 Grand Caravan out of nowhere threw that code. I checked the gas cap, traced out the evap lines for cracks, etc... Couldn't find anything. Then I happened to notice that after the last oil change, I forgot to put the oil filler cap back on. I put it back on and the code cleared, no kidding. Maybe check that the oil filler cap is on tight.

#8 ·
i've had this code for a while now and i just ignore it cause it's really no biggie. i don't feel like tracing out all the vac lines. if you take it to the dealer they will make you replace the $250 pump which most likely isn't the problem so beware. i've tried the gas cap and no joy.

#9 ·
I found out the wife bought gas Wed. and chalked it up to the gas cap not being on tight. I have been getting P codes for the Evap lines for about a year now but just reset the codes after checking the lines. All the codes come up as something related to the Evap system either leaking, detecting a small leak or some other $10 sentence. Thanks for the help guys....hope to have the pictures of the truck up this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.