Dakota Durango Forum banner

Fitting 33's on a Durango

152K views 166 replies 53 participants last post by  madman9004 
#1 · (Edited)
Fitting 33's on a Durango with only a TS lift!! (Pics of Trimming)

OK Here are the specs.

2002 Dodge Durango FT4WD
2" TS lift
16" stock wheels.
285 75R16's BFG Mud Terrains
Fender trimming mandatory

Spare will fit inside factory hitch only when deflated. Not a problem if you carry an air compressor (I do). I might be able to grind a bit of metal off the rear of the hitch to make it fit fully inflated. The hitch is catching the spare tire on a sharp edge directly behind receiver.

There is a wire harness connector directly behind the wheel well liner on the drivers side and the AC and Coolant lines behind the wheel well liner on the passenger side. I need to fab some protection from rocks and road debris being rocketed up at those important areas.

The increased road noise is noticable but not annoying (like swampers).

There is a bit more vibration. Also a slight rumble when braking. Very acceptable.

I didn't notice the change in shift points even though I know that it has changed.

The speedometer reads about 5 MPH slower than actual speed at 60 - 70 mph. Have to try to keep that in mind.

See less See more
#7 ·
Great info Jeff! I've been debating about 33's myself.

#8 ·
Great pics Jeff... Now I have to make a business case to the wife for getting a lift and tires similar to your setup...

#11 ·
Unnamed said:
New tires sorta takes away the "lifted" appearance.
yeah, not as much gap in the wheel wells, still looks good though!!

#14 · (Edited)
Hmm

I guess I had less worries when installing my 285/75/16 because of teh Kennesaw Bumpers. Instead of cutting the fenders and flares in teh rear of teh front wheel wells I used a Heat Gun and heated the plastic liners and remolded them to a shape that clears the new Tires.
Here is how mine came out
NIce Job By the way Canyon!
Steve

#15 ·
Damn you should consider getting a 3" body lift. Ive got a 3" Body lift, and a 2" T/S lift. But i don' thave 33" tires yet. And yeah it looks kinda funny :)

#16 ·
durangotrkrt said:
Damn you should consider getting a 3" body lift. Ive got a 3" Body lift, and a 2" T/S lift. But i don' thave 33" tires yet. And yeah it looks kinda funny :)
body lift is not helpful for offroad. Since I can already clear the 33's with minor trimming, there is no need raise the center of gravity and make it harder to fit under low branches and rock overhangs.

#66 ·
ahh, but the increased amount of room for the tires means more room for suspension travel, ive seen a guy run 35 boggers on a truck that looked like it could barely fit 33s, he flexed, kept going, long story short......he ended up buying a new fender and tire.............i could proabably fit a skinny 35 on my dak, but i dont want the chance of screwin more stuff up

#17 ·
FSTDANGO3 said:
I guess I had less worries when installing my 285/75/16 because of teh Kennesaw Bumpers. Instead of cutting the fenders and flares in teh rear of teh front wheel wells I used a Heat Gun and heated the plastic liners and remolded them to a shape that clears the new Tires.
Here is how mine came out
NIce Job By the way Canyon!
Steve
good idea on the heat gun. Wish I had known that before the trimming, but I am not unhappy with the look.

#18 ·
canyonD said:
body lift is not helpful for offroad. Since I can already clear the 33's with minor trimming, there is no need raise the center of gravity and make it harder to fit under low branches and rock overhangs.
I dont agree, yes you can fit the 33's with minor trimming while the truck is on the road, but when you get on those trails and flexin' that suspension those are gonna be rubbing like hell

#20 ·
durangotrkrt said:
I dont agree, yes you can fit the 33's with minor trimming while the truck is on the road, but when you get on those trails and flexin' that suspension those are gonna be rubbing like hell
From what experience do you base your observations? I have done it. I know it can be done. The rubbing can be rectified by trimming the plastic wheel wells and bumper corner. Did you see the pictures that I posted above?

#21 ·
canyonD said:
From what experience do you base your observations? I have done it. I know it can be done. The rubbing can be rectified by trimming the plastic wheel wells and bumper corner. Did you see the pictures that I posted above?
Ok lets not get into an argument. Ill rephrase. the first post i posted when i said it looks funny i was talking about my truck cause i have the stock tires. I know your setup can be used but i wouldn't be a guy to start cutting away at my fender wells. I do like your setup and the tires you have on there. But i just think its cutting it a little close for how much clearance you got.

#26 ·
couple of notes.

Tires fit great with no rub at full articulation

Dremel tool with mini sandpaper wheel works best to trim black plastic wheel well material.

I used a 3# sledge to bend the metal body lip back for more clearance.

I tried a heat gun to remold the wheel well material, but this did not work for me at all. Trimming is the way to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.