Dakota Durango Forum banner

Will a 8.25 handle a 406 stroker?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  stepikos0 
#1 ·
I'm building a 406 that I think will have about 450 hp/tq. I currently have a 8.25 and don't want to swap it if I don't have to. I'm planning on putting an Aussie Locker in it and keeping the 3.55 gears for now. I want to know if the 8.25 will handle the power without breaking. I don't race much but that could change.

#2 ·
It's going to depend on what tire size you plan to run, and intended use. On a 2wd with good street tires, I think the axle will hold up. Big slicks may be harder and if the truck is a 4wd, maybe a size up to 33"

The 8.25 is small but pretty strong for it's size. For a little more strength, 9.25s were used in some Dakotas and Durangos and should be a bolt on swap (2wd)

Ed

#3 ·
It's 2wd and will be my daily driver/occasional race truck. I do drive it like I stole it most of the time though. I plan on running a 275/60/15 tire. Maybe some drag radials but probably not slicks. I know I could get a 9.25 but I would rather use what I have.

#4 ·
Arighty, then. I'm gonna say it should hold up for awhile. It will be a tough life if you happen to enjoy dumping the clutch (or you're planning on running a high stall torque converter) but it will work.

Ed

#6 ·
Beef it up with a G2 cover with load bolts.

#7 ·
I have over 50k hard miles on a 400ish HP 360 in front of an 8.25 in my 68 Barracuda.

I know folks with A bodies that launch wheels up with 8.25 rear ends and they last just fine. The cast cover with load bolts mentioned will go a long way to stabilize the carrier and increase the lift expectancy.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.