Dakota Durango Forum banner

24-valve Cummins swap?

8K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  RXT 
#1 ·
Is there a way to do this? Deisel swap for a 2002 durango?

#2 ·
I have a 2004 Dakota QC 4x4 and I was wanting g to take my 4.7 out and do a swap with a 24v also I've seen it done if you go on YouTube and type in Dakota Cummins in will bring up some videos. I know you have to cut into fire wall a little to get the straight six Cummins to fit but it can be done.

#3 ·
The only chance you have is buying a running parts truck and converting every thing over.

The stock suspension will not handle the weight or the cummins and the stock diffs would not survive the torque. Your basically going to need axles, transfer case, transmission, engine, and so on.

Your best bet would be a 4BT or a 2.8 Liberty swap if you are stuck on diesel. If you still want a 5.9 cummins then look at the mechanical 12valve engines. The VE44 pump and P7100 pump trucks need one wire to run and are far less complicated.

It's going to be months of work and lots of money.

#4 · (Edited)
Is there a way to do this? Absolutely yes! I have one myself (A Dakota that is) . But…it's not for the faint of heart. This is an extensive and expensive modification, which will go beyond just a simple engine swap.. Not only are you looking at stuffing a Cummins into a much smaller truck, you'll also need the transmission that goes with the engine. There is no mention if you want 4 wheel drive or not, but if you want 4wd you'll also need a pair of one ton axles. None of this is a simple bolt on. It's going to require tons of fabrication and welding skills and a solid plan to execute.

Making it all happen. A donor truck would be nice but not mandatory. In fact you won't really save much by buying a donor truck because the best combination of engine and drivetrain are somewhat rare in a factory offered truck. Additionally, Cummins swaps have become so popular in recent years that donors are now in high demand. Stepping outside of donor possibilities will open you up to more options because the engines were not only used by Dodge, but in many medium duty trucks. They were used in school buses and other large trucks. Ford used them in a few F600-650 models too. Because they were used in many applications, you have plenty of transmission options as well. Besides Dodge made transmissions, there are adapters for GM transmissions, Ford transmissions, Allison, and if you want big, you can hook up an Eaton-Fuller, Spicer, Road Ranger, or a host of others. Only downside to using any of those transmissions is you'll have to use a divorced mounted t-case (for 4wd)

The best (and most desirable) engines to use are the 2nd gen 12V Cummins. These came with a P-pump and can be turned up the most. But as they are in such high demand, prices have skyrocketed. The first gen Cummins was the least desirable, but these engines are also going up in price as the alternatives to 2nd gens. They weren't as popular because they used an older VE pump, which couldn't be turned up quite as much as the P-pump engines. However, in the last few years, modified pumps have come to market, and now it has become possible to turn these up just like the P-pump engines. It is also possible to swap out the VE pump for a P-pump, but the swap isn't cheap. Both VE and P-pump engines are super simple to install, as they only require one wire to run.

Engines equipped with the VP44 pump are computer controlled and that makes them a bit more difficult to use. All 24V engines use computers to run including common rails. If you're willing, it is possible to install a P-pump on a 24V and eliminate the computer, but it's a lot of effort.

If you want a Dodge transmission, the options can be limited because most have gone to computer controlled. The last hydraulic controlled transmission was the 47RH and they are a bit rare. More common is the 47RE and these have to be modified to run without a computer, or use a manual.

Speaking of computers, the PCM in your Durango, isn't compatible, so it's not gonna work.

Axles, You'll need a Dana 60 front axle and the most desirable are those used by Ford. But they too are in high demand. The only other option is to use a 94-up Dodge Dana 60. It's not as desirable because it really lacks in it's design…but all of it can be improved with aftermarket parts. It will cost more to do a Dodge Dana 60, but the axles are more available as people pass them up for the Ford Dana 60 version.

Rear axles aren't a big problem because they are all pretty easy to find everywhere, so long as it's a one ton. You can even use one from a 2wd one ton truck, and newer trucks will have some desirable features like disc brakes.

Fabrication…..This is where things get difficult and planning is everything. The engine is a really tight fit, and leaves little space for things like a radiator, a/c condenser and possibly an intercooler. There are only a couple of ways to make more space. One, is to relocate some things, like the radiator, but in your case, theres no where to put it. (In my case, I'm sticking the radiator in the bed) The only other way, is to cut into the firewall, and set the engine further back.

The suspension will need to be fully fabricated. In my case, I used a Dodge Dana 60 front axle that came equipped with coil spring suspension. We kept the coil springs and fabricated up a pair of upper coil spring mounts, and built the links. Anotherwords I just used what was already there on the axle. A custom suspension could involve coil-overs or use simple leaf springs….Thats where the planning comes in.

In the end I spent a ton of money, but I also got what I wanted.

Ed

#5 ·
:update: You went into elaborate detail giving the guy an idea of the extensive work and complications involved and he doesn't say a word, not even thanks for the input........ Very Informative BTW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.