Dakota Durango Forum banner

Hemi-Kota Project DONE!

286K views 416 replies 133 participants last post by  modain 
#1 · (Edited)
Well just got done with my conversion. I have to offer thanks to all here who shared their experience. You can't buy that kind of help. I did my conversion with all stock parts and programming with the intent of keeping it smog legal in California. I succeeded! I'll post up pictures and a play by play here over the next few days. Thanks for all your help. But mostly to HemiDak whose thread was the one I found first. You made the difference in deciding to go forward with this project.

I'm finally getting around to reloading the SMALLER pictures. Sorry for my anti-techie-ness. Thanks for viewing!

See less See more
#11 · (Edited)
Using sage advice from HemiDak, I used a truck configuration Hemi. Step one was making motormounts. Since the 5.7 bolted right up to the transmission, I left that in the vehicle. I cut the 4.7l mounts apart and made plates that bolted up to the Hemi.

#23 ·
Nice welding job on the mounts!

#50 ·
Sorry it's taking so long to post up. Have to work also... :(

More about the pan. Since this Dakota is a 4x4, fitting the pan was a real pain! I probably had 7 hours of fab time making it.
I wish I could weld, gotta learn soon.

How do you like the extra power???

Did your daughter help with the conversion or is she just gonna borrow it to take to the street races.... er... library?

#32 · (Edited)
Welding the oil pan was also a challenge. To keep the bolting surface true, I clamped it to a flat surface while I welded it. Also I welded it in small seperate sections. This kept the pan from distorting too much from the heat.

And don't worry, Engine bay pics coming soon.

painted

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.