Dakota Durango Forum banner

Reverse light burning my wires

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  waterbird808 
#1 ·
99 dakota 2.5 2wd 5spd. When i turn key on and put shifter in reverse theres no reverse light and no burning wire when i turn headlight switch on my reverse lights comes on and it starts to burn my wire from under dash fuse box to engine fuse box which it connects to the engine harness plug. The wire that is burning is a brown with light green tracer from dash fuse box to engine fuse box and the fuse don't pop.

Im thinking of runnig a wire from the reverse switch straight to the dash fuse box. Any ideas will be appreciated thanks.

#2 ·
My best guess is you have a bad ground (G103). That is connected to the backup lights and a slew of other things like you parking/marker lights, O2 sensors, wipers, etc. When you have it in reverse with the headlight switch on, all of these other things are backfeeding through that little 20ga wire. The diagram isn't real clear but it looks like G103 is bolted to the fender next to the PDC.

If that wire is badly burned, you have to replace it (and repair any other wires in that loom that it burned by contact) but don't run a separate wire from the switch.

#3 ·
Thanks for responding. How do i test or look for in that g103 wire. Should i just clean contact.

This whole problem started from a p0500 vss with check engine,abs, brake light and airbag light all on, speedometer and mileage meter not work. I found the problem behind dash fuse box with the brown light green tracer melted on some wires. I took the dash out to make sure i fix any burnt wires. Put everything back and every works good except that reverse wire brown light green tracer.

#4 ·
Yeah check to make sure it's not corroded broken or loose. Hit the ring/nut/bolt with sandpaper to clean it. If that doesn't fix it we'll have to dig deeper into it.

Sent from a Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.