Dakota Durango Forum banner

Locked out of your Dodge with no spare?

55K views 75 replies 36 participants last post by  BIG_B_96 
#1 ·
I wanted to post my experience, I think it may help someone out there. Apologies if it's already listed someplace.

I locked myself out of my truck a week or so ago, and have no spare. Problem was, the engine was running and I had somewhere to be. :)

I called the dealer and asked what my options were. The parts guy was really helpful and advised me that if I came down and brought my VIN# with me, he could cut me a key from that information alone. He also said that they do this rarely, but since I had the truck in there before, they'd trust it's mine (my ownership was in my truck at the time and thus inaccessible).

As promised, I arrived and a key was cut. Worked perfectly!

#52 · (Edited)
New York v Class
In view of the important public purposes served by the VIN system and the minimal expectation of privacy in the VIN, I would hold that where a police officer lawfully stops a [475 U.S. 106, 122] motor vehicle, he may inspect the VIN, and remove any obstruction preventing such inspection, where the driver of the vehicle either is unwilling or unable to cooperate.

#60 ·
To those that have locked their keys in their trucks with keyless entry...how did you lock the door with it running? Doors wont lock if its running, unless you lock it by hand, and if you did that, then you got what you deserve.

Why not put your ignition key on one ring, attached to a carabiener (sp?) on it with the key fob on another ring so you can detach the keyfob and lock the doors by hand with the key in the ignition.

To the guy that keeps a spare in his wallet...I hope you dont lose your wallet with your license that has your address on it and the key to your prized possession sitting in your driveway...That might not end well...unless a good samaritan finds your wallet.

It is not illegal to cover the VIN # as long as you dont tamper or deface it.

#65 ·
LOL

Yeah, "getting what you deserve" is a bit harsh, I think. Anyone can make a mistake. Mine was having the truck on while I was washing the windows clean before I left for the day, and hitting the door locks rather than the window button as the door closed.

But, I got what I deserved, which was a great bit of help from the Dealer, a spare key and something I didn't know before.

#67 ·
hot wiring a muscle car only works if the wire harness is OEM and unmodified.

for all you know, I have a kill switch hidden somewhere and unless you know where the switch is and flip it back on, there will not be power to the ignition system, so all you're gonna do trying to hot wire the car is maybe get the starter to kick over.

#68 ·
Let me re-phrase what I was trying to convey...

I just dont understand how its possible to lock your keys in the rig, unless they are not in the ignition. That is if its a keyless entry anyways. Looks liek most of the people that were responding to the thread had a newer Dakato or Duango, and most had Keyless entry.

Oh well, no harm meant by what was said previous, and maybe not so much you deserved what you got...more like we all deserve the inconvenience that it costs us when the keys do get locked inside, whether running or not. Been around vehicles long enough its bound to happen, just like slamming your finger in the door jam...or should that be a new thread....:blabla:

#74 ·
Not really about locking your key in your truck but this morning I had to get in and out of the wife's car (2000 Buick). Went to get in my truck and the key was kind of stiff but still opened the door looked down and it was HER key! So lock yourself out of a gen 2, just find someone that drives a Buick.:banana2:

#75 ·
I did that in high school. was flirting a little with this cute chick, told her I took her keys and was going to go drive her truck around. nevermind that I was driving the same make and model, so at first look, my key looked just like hers.

I jump in her truck put the key in and while she's standing there just outside the door watching me, I turn the key over. imagine my shock when the key turned all the way with ease! I was like "WTF? this is my key..." so I press the clutch and it started right up!

so if you don't have a buick, you could find a cute chick who drives the same truck.

#76 ·
the keys to my 85 s10 would open up my buddy's 91 camry and turn the ignition. i moved it across the parkin lot one day afterschool.lol and i would take random stuff out of the thing in the mornin and give it to him durin the day hahah

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.