Dakota Durango Forum banner

Fuel Gauge NOT Working.

25K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  colley24 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a 2000 to 2003 Dak. I was told that the fuel gauge doesn't work. What all is involved in getting this to work. Is is the gauge, sender or something else? Does this happen often? Etc etc etc......

#2 ·
This is a pretty common (and annoying) problem in the Daks. I think it is more prevalent in the Gen II Daks, but I do believe some guys here have had issues in their Gen IIIs. Fortunately, mine is still operating as it should.

Unfortunately, I don't know the source of the problem. Hopefully others will chime in.

#5 ·
It isn't a safety issue, so no recall. Lettng the tank get too low has nothing to do with it. There is an arm witha float attached that moves up and down, when it does, 2 contacts move along a board with more contacts on it and that gives the signal. Well those contacts can wear out or break off and the gauge will stop working.

#6 ·
Ok. That is what I wanted to hear. You know what? I've had to replace or drop the tank on just about every car I've owned. I'm kinda getting tired of it. I don't think I'll buy this truck. It is in good shape and he replaced all the brakes and stuff. I just don't want to mess with dropping the tank. I hate running out of fuel too.

#8 ·
^^^ exactly! That's what I always do. It's so much easier believe it or not. 8 bolts, 4 screwsm a few connectors, and a friend to help lift and off it comes.

#11 ·
The pump isn't a big deal, I wouldn't break the deal solely over that. See how much a new one costs though and see if he'll go down that amount on the price.

#12 ·
Did you look at it? It doesn't look bad. I'm just getting a work truck. I do however need the fuel gauge to work. That would suck. Middle of nowhere and no gas. I might do that. Yall think it is the guage or sender? I'm sure the pump works. He drives it.

#13 ·
It's more than likely the sender. The sender, filter, and pump are all one assembly, so you'll need to buy a whole new pump assembly to change the sender.

#14 ·
#16 ·
No I'm not sure what the original pump in the tank is. I thought it was a 155LPH. or maybe 190?? You're not going to be changing teh actual "pump" anyways, just the whole assembly. Unless of course you want to swap in a bigger one like in the write-up.

#17 ·
its really not a big deal to change the fuel pump.........but alot of ppl think it is, i bought my truck for 2k and that was the only thing wrong with it.........ive seen other dakotas drasticly reduced in price becuase of this........sheesh it aint like the engine is locked down

#18 ·
Well..... I went and looked at the truck in question. It had a little more wrong with it than the fuel guage. So I drove all the way from Bay Town Texas to North Houston and found a white quad cab 4.7l 2000 that I'm probably gonna get on Monday. It doesn't have this problem. In fact it is in really good shape. The carfax report shows that it was regularly maintaned at the stealership. So at least they took care of it. It also has new driver and passenger side doors. The paint all matches to. The inside was clean. I just need some white face gauges, C.A.I., Exhaust, and a radio. I'll have to transfer my laptop stand and GPS to it. It needs tires and shocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.