Dakota Durango Forum banner

Flat Black Dakota pics?

12K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  AndrewR/T 
#1 ·
Anyone happen ever happen to see a flat/matte black dakota? I'm thinking about painting mine one of the two if I don't paint it white. Just wondering what it would look like and if I'd justify spending the money for it. Please post some pics if you have.

#31 ·
Whatever happened to Rob? I know he wanted to sell his truck...

#4 ·
That looks a lot better than I thought it would, might have to consider it. Thanks for the links. Google didn't have any good ones.

#6 ·
Done right they can look great on any vehicle.

I don't have a 'kota but my 1500 is Satin Black and i think it looks pretty good.
Well I guess I need to find a shop that can do it right. Do scratches show up pretty easily? My toyota was glass black and it was a pain in the ass to keep clean which is why I was thinking white

#7 ·
Scratches will show since it is a black color but so will fingerprints and grease. A lot of satin/matte/flat are single stage so you can't just buff or wax a scratch out. That's paint out there of course that gives the satin look with full clear coat protection so you can treat it like any other gloss paint.

I may go with a satin blue or orange theme next so the dirt blends in lol.

#11 ·
Well it has a few scratches but no dents. I just don't like the paint scheme. I bought it like that because it was pretty close to what I wanted to do with my old truck but now I've changed my mind on how I want it to look. Either all one color or another color that will look good with black accents such as white, red, blue, and I was considering that amber fire color also. But since it's a truck I don't want to worry about the paint getting messed up all the time which is why I was thinking white. But I love the look of an all black truck.

#14 ·
Love the paint and the red hood scoop. Truck looks pretty sick and I will definitely consider it now. Its just a pain in the ass to keep a truck clean in the summer when you work on a ranch. Even if I don't drive it the dust goes everywhere. I can't complain though I guess, I have a truck I love and keeping it clean is all a part of the adventure I suppose.

#19 ·
Thanks. It looks like that after a wash but pretty much goes to "dust" as soon as i reach my property area lol.
Its a nice theme that looks simple but is enough to stand on her own.
You can purchase a full truck cover even though it may not stop all of the dust elements it should sufficiently help.

#20 ·
Nah I wouldn't even bother with the cover, it would be more of a pain in the ass then it would to wash it once or twice a week . Don't get me wrong I love a clean truck, but I'm not going to waste all my time fighting a lost cause. I'm still thinking white though, cheaper and easier to keep clean, but damn flat black would look so sexy.

#30 · (Edited)
The clear coat is peeling bad on the roof and my wife has expressed much interest in having the truck painted satin black. This thread couldn't have come at a better time. If I don't do satin black then I may try the Sunrise Orange.

#34 ·
If you do it right you can do it yourself for around $500. A basic Nason black paint would run $120 a gallon and a gallon of matt clearcoat would run $150 or so if you use dupont. Even if you have to buy a spray gun, get a Devilbiss finishline gun for $80 and you'll be good to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.