Dakota Durango Forum banner

No cold air from A/C

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  TazRango 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Dakota 3.9 liter. The a/c has stopped blowing cold air. It is colder than outside air but not much. The fan on the back of the radiator kicks on with the compressor. The compressor stays on full time. When i took it for a recharge, they indicated it had very little pressure, like 10 lbs. He filled it in hopes that it would kick back into operation, but that did not fix the lack of cold air coming from the vents. I have normal heat and air flow on all switch positions and it moves around appropriately from the feet to windshield to front vents when the position switch is changed. When i shut off the truck, i do hear a hissing sound coming from the center-behind the front of the dash and this sound diminishes over a period of 30 seconds or so until it is gone. All while the truck has just been shut off.

Where to go from here..............i am on a fixed income and really don't have the money to spend, but my temps are reaching into the 90's now and something has to give.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

David

#2 ·
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the person you brought it to doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. You can't tell how much refrigerant is in the system just by reading pressures - the system has to be evacuated, the contents weighed to see what was left, and then it gets recharged by weight. No licensed tech would just shoot in some refrigerant "hoping" it makes it work. The low side pressure by itself tells you exactly dick. You need both pressures for a preliminary diagnosis.

The compressor is running, which means it has some refrigerant in the system. It won't always cycle in hot weather. Does the big hose coming off the compressor get cold at all?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.