Dakota Durango Forum banner

ecm wtf?

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  ShortBox 
#1 ·
I did the 5.2 swap in my '93 back in april. When I did the swap all I had one hand was '95 ram 5.9 ecm to get it fired. Since then I have swapped out several different ecm's with no luck on getting it to run the way it should. The '95 ram 5.9 ecm runs good with no cel but the timing seems off and drinks fuel. I had a '94 5.2 dakota ecm in for a couple days and it seemed to have the pep it should but it failed on me and wouldn't run the truck. The next one was from a '94 5.2 ram which ran ok but seemed to have a miss fire problem. Now in it is a '95 5.2 ram ecm which seems to run the best but drive a mile down the road and the cel comes on every time. What does anybody suggest? Im 1 ecm away from a carburator.

#2 ·
I would say you need to find a pcm for a 93. There is a few things that may make a difference. The 93 is a return fuel system with the regulator on the rail. The 95 is not and is regulated on the pump. Not saying that has anything to do with it. Just an example. Worth a try. :wave: When I purchased my wifes 93 it had a bad module. I took my stock one from my 95 and it ran it but not well. I got a 93 module from a buddy and it ran like a top till the day I sold it.

#3 ·
yes, you need a 92-93 computer for a 5.2. I recommend a mopar performance computer, do it once, do it right.

#4 ·
Don't really need the mopar ecm though. I am building a turbo setup, slowly, but have heard not to use the mopar ecm.

#5 ·
Just slap a carb on it with an M1 4bbl and call it done.............

Or find a 92-3 ecm....the 94-5 won't work too well as allready suggested

#7 ·
What is the actual CEL? Did you mess with the distributor at all? If you did, take it to a dealer and have them set the fuel synch. Dizzy doesn't control the timing on these trucks, just when the injectors fire. If you have any EGR stuff, check it. It'll cause some weird problems sometimes.

A 92-94 PCM should work for you. I used a '94 van pcm for 2 or 3 years with no problems before I pulled it and went to carbed 408.

#8 · (Edited)
Never checked to see what the cel actually is. Also no egr on the truck.

The weirdest thing is that the '95 5.9 Ram ecm is the one that worked the best. Only problem with it was that on decelleration it would back fire loud and weird. Other than that, no cel.

#10 ·
The only code in the truck is vehicle speed sensor, no signal detected. The past couple days have been rather chilly and on every start up the truck falls on its face until about third gear then clears up. VSS have anything to do with this issue? Its never done this until the past 2 days.

#11 ·
I'm pretty sure the fuel curve or something is different with the 5.9 computers, it'll run, but not run well.. Just like the guys who swap from the 5.2 to the 5.9, they have to use the computer from a 5.9 to make it run right.

In your case you need to find a 92-93, 5.2, 5 speed computer... do you have somebody you can borrow one from so you can at least try it out?

#12 ·
I ran my 5.2 for a long time with a 5.9 Mopar PCM, it ran great. Wideband verified it wasn't running too rich.

I got it from outshined who claimed it ran his 93 just fine too (it's a 94-95 PCM).

#15 ·
Yep, it ran my 360 just fine...only problem i ever had was when I took it out of the box and threw it on the truck without filling it with 93 octane first (whoops lol).

Shortbox- no one touched the distributor, right? Honestly, I don't know about the VSS. It may or may not be affecting anything but i'm not sure...I the exact same code, though it never tripped the light on my '93....ran it for 2 years and never had any ill effects. I'll check my FSM and see whats up.

#13 ·
Haha, well maybe I'm wrong then.. I'm still kind of new to dodges, I'm mainly a mustang (foxbody) and s10 person, but dakota fit my needs much better than both those so....

#16 ·
Nope, distributor was never touched. Now this morning on the way to work, coldest morning we have had yet, the stupid truck ran great. No cel, no sluggishness, nothing. Now when I drive home tonight it will probably be the exact opposite. Very close to a carb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.