Dakota Durango Forum banner

add tow package to 2008 durango

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  77celi 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 2008 Durango SLT without the towing package and I am wonder what all it would take to add it. I know that I need the hitch, 4 and 7 way wiring harness and maybe the brake controller connector.

I have noticed that the fuse for the trailer towing under the hood is missing and conveniently Chrysler did not include one of the sockets for the fuse. Is an inline fuse a good option or is not too difficult to add the pin/wire to the fuse box?

How much of a headache is it to convert it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Steve

#4 ·
you need to add a trans cooler, have 3.92 rear gears and a limited slip unit installed, and swap your 9.5" drums to 10.5" drums
or you can just add a hitch and a trailer harness and have a durango with a hitch...

#7 ·
Mopar makes the 7 pin harness. I got mine off ebay. You will Also have to buy a 20 or 30 amp circuit breaker($3.00 from auto parts store) for your brake controller .You will see that you are going to have to wire the brake controller as if you did not have a plug and play harness. The directions only have pictures.

#8 ·
From dodge I got the harness for the lights and for the brake controller, I ran the wire to the brake controller. Then I wired up the brake controller to power. Now I'm need to find a way to use the fuse under the hood for constant power(there is a place for the fuse just no pin on the other side of it. I need to take the fuse block out and see what I can do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.