Dakota Durango Forum banner

No Spark on 2002 Dakota 3.9L

15K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  99Dakota 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I have an 2002 dakota 3.9L auto 2wd. I am getting no spark at the coil. I tested the wires that go to the coil. When you first turn the key it sends 12v to it but then goes right away. It seems that the computer is holding it back from sparking. I heard a lot of people online talking about a wire spice that goes bad but I couldn't find it. Is this truck too new for that spice? The coil, cap and rotor where replaced already. I was thinking about trying a new crank sensor? Any other ideas on what it could be?

Thanks for your help!

#2 ·
check the ASD relay. could be a number of things. do u have a crank reference voltage when cranking? are u saying there is no spark coming out of the coil, or no power going to the coil?

#3 · (Edited)
Where is the ADS relay? I tried finding it in the fuse box under the Hood nut I didn't see it I'm there. Is it called something else on the cover?

The coil gives no power to the distributor at all. I tested the voltage on the 2 wires thy go in to the coil and the only time they get power is for the first second you turn the key to the on position but not when cranking it.

#4 ·
Asd relay is in the PDC under ther the hood. It may be called the engine relay on the cover. When you turn the key to run ( not start), you should hear it click closed and the fuel pump prime. It should then click open after a few seconds. When you crank it, the relay should click closed again and stay closed. If it clicks back open, then the pcm is shutting it down, usually from a lack of signal from the crank or cam trigger.

#5 ·
yeah^^ what he said. get out the scanner if u can and watch the voltages for the cam and crank while cranking the engine. will it even crank?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.