Dakota Durango Forum banner

New to forum, 3.9 to 5.9 swap issues.

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  rooster3412 
#1 ·
I had a knocking 3.9 so I decided it was 5.9 time for my 2000 Dodge Dakota. Read how easy it was, get a 5.9 ECM and add two injector wires and change the injector ends. I did that using the original trans and it would not start with the 5.9 ECM, it started and ran awful with the 3.9 ECM. I sent the 5.9 ECM to B&G Performance for a custom tune, still no start. Sent it back under warranty and it starts and runs good on 6 cylinder, original ECM, showing misfires on #7 and #8 cylinder, not firing, tested with a noid light. It has also had, no which ECM, had a TCC shorted code. The wiring is right according to nonline and the manual I have. I have all new trans sensors and bigger trans cooler to install. I am seriously thinking of piggy backing the two injectors off the nearest firing cylinder that I can disconnect and run in 6 cyl mode. I would rather do it right, any thoughts on this"easy" swap?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.