Dakota Durango Forum banner

Trans Temp & O/D Off Lite on??????????

45K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  way_krzy 
#1 ·
I have a 01 Durango R/T and when I was driving home today, my O/D Off light came on and I could not switch it to off. Then a few miles later the trans temp light came on. Lucky I was only about a mile from the house and when I made it home, I checked the fluid and it is right on. The temp outside today is in the mid 90's. Not sure what the deal is. Any help would be great!!!

#2 ·
Your transmission overheated and went into limp mode. This takes it out of overdrive and (I think) locks the torque converter. It of course also turns on the "Trans temp" light on the dash.

Were you towing with it or something?

#7 ·
Alright. You work on these every day, then you must have a copy of the FSM handy, right? Check out page 21-316 of your 01 Durango manual (the same page I scanned in from my own copy) and tell me what you'd call that, if it's not a limp mode.
Just because you work on these every day doesn't make you smarter than a manual. I work on $250,000+ industrial machinery every day and I still don't quite have those electrical prints memorized just yet.

Also, for what it's worth... If you're going to try to help someone out, at least do it in a way that they can understand. Rolling your face across the keyboard while thinking about how to fix it doesn't count.

#9 ·
Ok this is exactly what mine is doing. The scanner is not picking up a error code but it does say the fluid temp is 266 at idle and the OD switch on the shifter is working but will not turn the light off. It did show a code of P1740 the first time it did it a month ago. Now it has been in and out of the shop 4 times. It works perfectly for about 30 miles then the OD light comes on, doesnt flash just stays on, it shifts into third and the trans temp light comes on. The governor solenoid, 4th gear and lock up solenoids have been replaced, the cooler and cooler lines have been flushed. The overdrive unit was pulled and inspected. It checked out ok and was put back in. The wiring loom was replaced. It wont shift into first in drive from a stop. It feels like it is stuck in second until it cools off. Im open to any suggestions at this point. Its a 2003 5.9 4x4 durango.

#10 ·
I would like to know if they replaced the govenor solenoid, or did they just clean it. also did they replace the govenor pressure sensor(trans temp sensor)? I would be looking at the temp sensor. The P1740 is a TCC Solenoid performance code, one of the few possible causes for this code is a temp sensor problem. Also do you have a scan tool you can use to watch the govenor pressure while driving the truck?

#15 ·
I ended having the govenor solenoid and 4th gear and lock up solenoids replaced as well and now my trucks starts off in first gear and all was good for about week. Driving home the other day (12 miles) from work, my o/d off light came back on but the trans temp did not. Though when I went to work the next morning, everything is fine. It is only happening when I drive home and it is 100 degress outside. I took it to the shop again and they that the fluid will need to be changed or I might have a faulty o/d unit and quoted me around $600 to replace. Ouch. will update on what I decide to do, (sell or fix)

#17 ·
I had it come on once after driving for a few miles in some rainy cold weather about a week after my rebuild. I stopped and let it idle in park and it cooled down and went back. I don't know if it was a fluke or something but it hasn't happened again. If it does, I'll just take it in.

#19 ·
I have a 1999 Durango SLT 4x4 5.2 ltr and the

Trans Temp and O/D lights come on if I go through too many puddles or through the car wash 😅 with an undercarriage spray. So I am pretty positive it is a short when it gets wet but not sure what sensors to look at or where they are located?

#18 ·
i had the same problem in my tranny (99 durango 5.9) there is a check ball in your feeder trans cooler line. have the shop look at that. that line is prone to go bad and restricts fluid flow to the trans coolers. i bypassed the check valve and now it runs fine.. mabe even consider bypassing your coolers and add an auxilary cooler.. if your o/d light comes on try not to drive too far on it. mabe pull over on the side of the road for a few minutes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.