Gen II Dakotas 1991-1996 Dakota-Specific Questions

post #16 of Old 03-15-2010, 07:38 PM
dbilik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJCLT250R View Post
i did the v8 swap in my dakota...used a 95 drivetrain and harness and put it in the 94 truck....the computer harness does not connect to the bulkhead connecter...it pretty much just connects to the intake and some various sensors and then goes to the ecu...then power and ground...as far as i can remember the 92-93 harness has a differnt ecu plug than the 94-95...and 96 is totally differnt with 3 plugs...i need to find the 94-95 mopar performance ecu for my truck 2wd 5.2 5 speed....anyone have one??
92 should be pre-magnum engine. A 93 Dakota will be a Magnum, so I don't think you have the right years above. A 93 PCM will work in a 94 and 95 Dakota. 96 is OBDII, so it is a different syustem in itself.

An automatic PCM will work fine in a 5 speed truck. Only the tach light will be off, which I never found it to be that useful in my stock 5 speed anyways. Also, a RAM ECM is running the same engine as the Dakota, therefore it should also work without a problem. Since both are manual I believe you said, you will have no problems.

Like OUtshined said, you can run the two extra wires or I see no reason why the Ram harness shouldn't work, it is the same engine and should be the same ECM. You already have a manual trans so you don't have to worry about the grounding for P/N switch. If you did ever change an auto to a manual, you just need to change the plugs that activate the P/N switch from the automatic trans shifter to the clutch pedal. It is pre-wired essentially. It is a green connector under the dash near your clutch pedal. Yellow wire I believe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of Old 03-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Fast360Dak

Send a message via AIM to Fast360Dak
92 Was the first year for the Magnums, my first 318 came out of a 92.

96' Lapis Blue Dakota Sport - 360 Swapped, Single Turbo, TKO600
Daily -00' F-250 - 8.5" proComp lift w/37"s on Dubs.
SpeedFab www.racemagnum.com
post #18 of Old 04-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Sneezer
It's not my fault!

Send a message via AIM to Sneezer Send a message via Yahoo to Sneezer
The Ram harness is different - the PDC on the one I looked at was in a different spot. The PCM connectors are the same. I ran a 94-95 Mopar 5.9 computer in my truck. The only issue it gave me was it tripped a code for tranny temp too low. My truck does not have a tranny temp sensor to begin with, so I assume that was specific to the 5.9 powered Rams.

If you are desperate I am parting out my 92. Have the engine harness already pulled. Also have the MP PCM.

1992 318 CC. Red/sand peeling paint, hail damage and dented bed.

"She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Mopar PCM, K&N Filtercharger, M1 intake, relocated IAT to intake tube, Autolite 3923 plugs, 180 thermostat, ported heads, MP 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams 604 camshaft, Mopar/DT headers, 3" exhaust w/Magnaflow muffler, Blaster SS coil, MSD 8.5mm plug wires and coil wires. 360 block swapped in.

Pending install - 4.10 gears, LSD, PD blower, MSD 6BTM, electric fan.

www.dfwdakotas.com
post #19 of Old 04-02-2010, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
ShortBox
Urine Idiot

I have a 95 ram pcm. As for the harness, my plan is to use the injector wiring from the '97 and use my harness. Does anyone have the diagram to so this?

'93 Dakota Sport, RC/SB, 2wd, 17" R/T's, 5.2L Magnum 5-spd.
'93 Dodge D350 dually, Cummins, many mods.
This is an expensive habit.....
post #20 of Old 04-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Sneezer
It's not my fault!

Send a message via AIM to Sneezer Send a message via Yahoo to Sneezer
Let me looka t home. I have a 92 FSM, I don't think the wiring changed substantially.

1992 318 CC. Red/sand peeling paint, hail damage and dented bed.

"She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Mopar PCM, K&N Filtercharger, M1 intake, relocated IAT to intake tube, Autolite 3923 plugs, 180 thermostat, ported heads, MP 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams 604 camshaft, Mopar/DT headers, 3" exhaust w/Magnaflow muffler, Blaster SS coil, MSD 8.5mm plug wires and coil wires. 360 block swapped in.

Pending install - 4.10 gears, LSD, PD blower, MSD 6BTM, electric fan.

www.dfwdakotas.com
post #21 of Old 04-03-2010, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
ShortBox
Urine Idiot

Thanks man.

'93 Dakota Sport, RC/SB, 2wd, 17" R/T's, 5.2L Magnum 5-spd.
'93 Dodge D350 dually, Cummins, many mods.
This is an expensive habit.....
post #22 of Old 12-19-2011, 12:47 AM
Ratedpwg

Hi, I have a 1994 Dodge dakota club cab, 2 wheel drive, 5 speed, and it had a v6 in it. I took the v6 out and put a 318 v8 in it. The v8 came from a 1996 or 1997 jeep grand cherokee and I put a computer in it from a 1997 I believe,.. I will check that later.. a 1997 Dodge full size, 2 wheel drive 5 speed. I kept the original v6 wiring harness and added 2 wires for the injectors with no problem at all. I got the extra wires from a wrecking yard. I had to use a oil pan from a v8 dakota as they are different because of the jeep being a 4x4. I also had to get a y pipe for a full size and cut the end off of it to match it to the existing exhaust system,... outside of that I didn't have too much problems with it,... oh I almost forgot,... the other thing I had to do is get a flywheel and clutch for a full size truck to make it work with the tranny that was in the dakota. That was about all that had to be done to make it work.

I hope that this was a little bit of help to you. I am going to get some pics of it up soon.

Paul
post #23 of Old 12-19-2011, 08:13 AM
Blue93Dakota
408,R3,Indy Heads,Twin66s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratedpwg View Post
Hi, I have a 1994 Dodge dakota club cab, 2 wheel drive, 5 speed, and it had a v6 in it. I took the v6 out and put a 318 v8 in it. The v8 came from a 1996 or 1997 jeep grand cherokee and I put a computer in it from a 1997 I believe,.. I will check that later.. a 1997 Dodge full size, 2 wheel drive 5 speed. I kept the original v6 wiring harness and added 2 wires for the injectors with no problem at all. I got the extra wires from a wrecking yard. I had to use a oil pan from a v8 dakota as they are different because of the jeep being a 4x4. I also had to get a y pipe for a full size and cut the end off of it to match it to the existing exhaust system,... outside of that I didn't have too much problems with it,... oh I almost forgot,... the other thing I had to do is get a flywheel and clutch for a full size truck to make it work with the tranny that was in the dakota. That was about all that had to be done to make it work.

I hope that this was a little bit of help to you. I am going to get some pics of it up soon.

Paul
Check on the year of that computer. I'm betting it had to be a 95 or older. 96 and newer were totally different wiring harnesses and computers as they went from OBD1 to OBD2 in 96.

"Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." -Unknown
Joe
'04 Altlantic Blue Durango Limited 4X4 Hemi
20" Chrome Ram Wheels
'04 Bright Silver Durango Limited 4X4 Hemi

Blue '93 CC Dak MS3XEFI 408 R3 Indy Heads Twin Turbos
My fQuick (Mods)
R3 Twin Turbo Build
MS3EFI
Link to current pic
513-Motorsports-LLC
post #24 of Old 12-18-2013, 01:34 AM
papabear9847

I have a 91 dakota 3.9 v6,had it running,turned it off and later tried starting it,fuel pump hummed for probably 2 seconds then nothing from fuel pump.
Checked coil,pickup coil in distributor no fire, checked fuses,relays,broken and corroded wires,grounds all ok, lost check engine light,no codes, baffled!!!!
post #25 of Old 12-18-2013, 05:41 AM
Little Blue Guy
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇʇıן

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear9847 View Post
I have a 91 dakota 3.9 v6,had it running,turned it off and later tried starting it,fuel pump hummed for probably 2 seconds then nothing from fuel pump.
Checked coil,pickup coil in distributor no fire, checked fuses,relays,broken and corroded wires,grounds all ok, lost check engine light,no codes, baffled!!!!
two second fuel pump activation is normal when you turn key on...

how did you check the coil, the pick-up and other items? How do you know they ar OK? Did you get specifications and use proper testing equipment to diagnose these items?

No spark has nothing to do with fuel pump or fuses

Without using a scanner to check for data, my first "guess" would be crank sensor....

All our cars are here --> http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/A383Wing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: