Is there a fuse for the "Power Outlet?" - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gen III Dakotas 1997-2004 Dakota-Specific Questions

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:43 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Durango 4X4 5.2l
Is there a fuse for the "Power Outlet?"

My '99 has both a cig lighter and a power outlet, the power outlet gave out a few months ago and I haven't found a fuse or anything to check for it. About that same time the same thing happened to my '01 Ram which also has both outlets. Is there a fuse for the power outlet or what else should I check?

TIA
- Joe -

EDIT: oops, I guess i'm already half asleep, I put this in Dakota instead of D-go. But I assume that's ok for this question anyway. sorry, my bad.

Last edited by lvin4jc; 09-26-2010 at 05:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2010, 11:26 PM
The Anti-RUB

Vehicle: 4.7L '03 Durango SLT
Check the owners manual. It should have a diagram for where the fuse is. Most likely its in the fuse block under the hood (Power Distribution Center). I doubt there is a separate fuse for the cig lighter and the power outlet. But i could be wrong.

If there isn't a separate power outlet fuse, I'd check the outlet itself. The contacts tend to wear out inside the cylinder.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Site Supporter

Vehicle: 2000 Dakota Sport CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvin4jc View Post
My '99 has both a cig lighter and a power outlet, the power outlet gave out a few months ago and I haven't found a fuse or anything to check for it. About that same time the same thing happened to my '01 Ram which also has both outlets. Is there a fuse for the power outlet or what else should I check?

TIA
- Joe -

EDIT: oops, I guess i'm already half asleep, I put this in Dakota instead of D-go. But I assume that's ok for this question anyway. sorry, my bad.
I had the same problem. Couldn't find the fuse anywhere. It is located in the fuse panel on the inside the cab, but on the back side of the panel. You will be able to see it if you crawl underneath with a flashlight. hth.
180* T-Stat, 360 Power Shot IntakeZ, bwdakrt modded V6 TB, Superchips 3715, HS 1.7 RR's , Black Magic 180 Extreme Fan (Clutch fan kicked to the curb!), Taylor 8mm Wires, NGK FR5-1's, EBC Sport Rotors & Hawk Pads, Infinity Reference 6020CS & 6022SI, AMI Locking Fuel Door, Diamond Clear Corners with O*NEX 6000K HID's.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2003 View Post
I had the same problem. Couldn't find the fuse anywhere. It is located in the fuse panel on the inside the cab, but on the back side of the panel. You will be able to see it if you crawl underneath with a flashlight. hth.
Sometimes I wonder what these high paid engineers are thinking when they design some of these components

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know, repped!
Old 09-27-2010, 01:58 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota R/T Amber Fir
Which one is it on the back side of the panel? Or how do you figure it out? I could just pull them all to see which is bad, but my power outlet hasn't worked in ages.

edit: she once to her taxes to a taxidermy shop...my hand to god, this woman is a moron
Old 09-27-2010, 02:39 AM
Site Supporter

Vehicle: 2000 Dakota Sport CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k1AmberR/T View Post
Which one is it on the back side of the panel? Or how do you figure it out? I could just pull them all to see which is bad, but my power outlet hasn't worked in ages.
I can't remember which one it was. I had the same issues and someone on here told me where it was located. I just ended up pulling until i got the bad one.
180* T-Stat, 360 Power Shot IntakeZ, bwdakrt modded V6 TB, Superchips 3715, HS 1.7 RR's , Black Magic 180 Extreme Fan (Clutch fan kicked to the curb!), Taylor 8mm Wires, NGK FR5-1's, EBC Sport Rotors & Hawk Pads, Infinity Reference 6020CS & 6022SI, AMI Locking Fuel Door, Diamond Clear Corners with O*NEX 6000K HID's.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:06 AM
Mods Addict

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Durango R/T
Send a message via Yahoo to Altair
This happened to my daughter's car. The cigarette and aux outlet stopped working on her Pontiac Alero. I pulled every fuse and they all looked good and there was no mention of cigarette lighter on the fuse panel.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:21 AM
We Are 138

Vehicle: 98 Dakota V6 & 03 Cobra
Reputation: 203 Misfit is a splendid one to beholdMisfit is a splendid one to beholdMisfit is a splendid one to behold
Garage
Sometimes a fuse is bad even if it isn't blown. Been there many times, Had power windows,locks stop working, pull the fuse, not blown, replaced it anyway, and what do ya know? the shit works again.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:57 PM

Hmmn, I have two on the backside of the panel a 10A and a 15A (of course they don't say what they go to and the owners manual says nothing about any fuses on the backside) but the power outlet says 20A right on it, I guess i'll try replacing them one by one as mentioned because they all look good.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:02 PM
V8.

Vehicle: 4.7L 2000 dakota RCSB 4x4
if nobody mentioned it yet there is a second small fusebox under the dash near the e-brake release. my ipod charger wasn't working and after replacing one of those it worked.

flowmaster 40-homemade CAI-clutch fan delete-debadged-blacked wheels-35/20 tint-black grille w/mesh-black tails-black flares-31" general grabbers at2-ventshades-leveled
Old 09-27-2010, 09:12 PM
We Are 138

Vehicle: 98 Dakota V6 & 03 Cobra
Reputation: 203 Misfit is a splendid one to beholdMisfit is a splendid one to beholdMisfit is a splendid one to behold
Garage
In my 98 and 99 Dakota's there are only 2 fuse panels. 1 under hood- Fuel pump relays, etc etc. Then, the other, you open the drivers side door, and it's on the side of the dash. I have never looked on the backside of that panel, maybe that is where the fuse for the power outlet is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: