2001 Durango heater blower fan resistor - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-08-2010, 01:52 PM
MontanaNY MontanaNY is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rochester NY
Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Durango
Posts: 6
Reputation: 10 MontanaNY is just getting started
2001 Durango heater blower fan resistor

My Durango (2001 - 4.7L - 122K miles) had the front fan blower quit working. I did once already (a few years ago) replace the fan resistor with the upgraded style. I went to change the resistor and can not get it unplugged.......it looks to have somewhat melted and 2 of the wires had the insulation melted a bit (but no blown fuse). I pulled the fan and replaced that..........mainly since it was little stiff to turn, but it fell off of the bench and broke the squirel cage. I will now be going to get a new plug and connectors so I can fix the plug that goes into the resistor.

Any thoughts and suggestions? Should I look to the switch as a culprit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 01-08-2010, 07:15 PM
01durango 01durango is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Vehicle: 2001 Durango 4x4 4.7L
Posts: 45
Reputation: 10 01durango is just getting started
ha I just did this. New blower motor, Harness w/plug and resister will fix it. I did lots of reading and many said the fan motor pulled to much current causing the resister to blow and the harness/wire to melt. So for safety reasons I just replaced it all...heres my thread.

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...28#post2324028
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 01-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Bos-R/T's Avatar
Bos-R/T Bos-R/T is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wooley Swamps of Abalama
Vehicle: 2001 Black CC R/T
Posts: 1,110
Reputation: 28 Bos-R/T must have done something right
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01durango View Post
ha I just did this. New blower motor, Harness w/plug and resister will fix it. I did lots of reading and many said the fan motor pulled to much current causing the resister to blow and the harness/wire to melt. So for safety reasons I just replaced it all...heres my thread.

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...28#post2324028
x2 What he said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 01-10-2010, 02:25 AM
MontanaNY MontanaNY is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rochester NY
Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Durango
Posts: 6
Reputation: 10 MontanaNY is just getting started
Although I started this, I guess I am X3!!

I did change the resistor ($12.00), blower ($75.00) and got the resistor harness ($75.00) installed and all works. I will fell better after a few weeks. My good friend (an electrical engineer for Delphi (GM)) helped me (did most of it) installing the harness. He cut back the wires and soldered in the connections and heat shrunk them. Looks better than new. Anyway, he commented that this is really something that should be a recall issue for Dodge, but since there were no fires or occupant hazard that that would not happen. I am not complaining about my Durango (it has been great), just want to share thoughts and comments.

It was also interesting that the local Dodge dealer commented that they were out of these harnesses and have been "selling them like crazy"! Also, another dealer said that there were 3 upgrades to this harness repair kit and the price went from $19 > $75.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 01-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Bos-R/T's Avatar
Bos-R/T Bos-R/T is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wooley Swamps of Abalama
Vehicle: 2001 Black CC R/T
Posts: 1,110
Reputation: 28 Bos-R/T must have done something right
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaNY View Post
Although I started this, I guess I am X3!!

I did change the resistor ($12.00), blower ($75.00) and got the resistor harness ($75.00) installed and all works. I will fell better after a few weeks. My good friend (an electrical engineer for Delphi (GM)) helped me (did most of it) installing the harness. He cut back the wires and soldered in the connections and heat shrunk them. Looks better than new. Anyway, he commented that this is really something that should be a recall issue for Dodge, but since there were no fires or occupant hazard that that would not happen. I am not complaining about my Durango (it has been great), just want to share thoughts and comments.

It was also interesting that the local Dodge dealer commented that they were out of these harnesses and have been "selling them like crazy"! Also, another dealer said that there were 3 upgrades to this harness repair kit and the price went from $19 > $75.
Wow. Im glad I havent had this happen to mine yet. The only thing I have replaced was the 6.00 resistor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-27-2010, 06:12 PM
hutchies hutchies is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Durant, OK
Vehicle: 2003 Dodge durango
Posts: 6
Reputation: 10 hutchies is just getting started
Make that X4................Replaced the resistor. Didn't see this thread til now after it has burned the 1st one up. Called oreillys and they said it's lifetime warranty.............I said what about the burned up plug. They said sorry call dodge. No dealerships close but autozone shows to carry them so I'm gonna go see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Montana Dodge's Avatar
Montana Dodge Montana Dodge is offline
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montana
Vehicle: 2001 Dur, 2000 Dak QC
Posts: 12,282
Reputation: 175 Montana Dodge is a name known to allMontana Dodge is a name known to all
Send a message via Yahoo to Montana Dodge
OK, so I've been putting this off. My MAX High speed on the fan doesn't work. Is this my problem? I'll have to check it out and see if mine is fried.
__________________
Jay
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
2001 Durango___________________________2000 QC Dak
5 Speed Auto CAI w/JBA Cat Back____K&N CAI - Flowmaster dual out


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-28-2010, 05:01 AM
hutchies hutchies is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Durant, OK
Vehicle: 2003 Dodge durango
Posts: 6
Reputation: 10 hutchies is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Dodge View Post
OK, so I've been putting this off. My MAX High speed on the fan doesn't work. Is this my problem? I'll have to check it out and see if mine is fried.


I would bet so................I bought a new one stuck it in and it didn't work on high then all the sudden it did and started to get hot. I turned the key off and yanked it out before it fried the new one. I stuck the old one back in til I find a new harness and blower motor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Montana Dodge's Avatar
Montana Dodge Montana Dodge is offline
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montana
Vehicle: 2001 Dur, 2000 Dak QC
Posts: 12,282
Reputation: 175 Montana Dodge is a name known to allMontana Dodge is a name known to all
Send a message via Yahoo to Montana Dodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchies View Post
I would bet so................I bought a new one stuck it in and it didn't work on high then all the sudden it did and started to get hot. I turned the key off and yanked it out before it fried the new one. I stuck the old one back in til I find a new harness and blower motor
Well that blows goats for quarters.
__________________
Jay
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
2001 Durango___________________________2000 QC Dak
5 Speed Auto CAI w/JBA Cat Back____K&N CAI - Flowmaster dual out


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 08-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Davee3 Davee3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Ontario Moonbeam
Vehicle: 2002 Dakota 2 wd
Posts: 2
Reputation: 10 Davee3 is just getting started
Dakota heater fan control

My problem is different. Runs all speeds except high So never gets full voltage

From a site I will attach I find shorting pins 1 & 2 gives full voltage So I suspect a wiring burn out rather than the resistor pack. It was changed once before


http://www.thegatesofdawn.ca/wordpre...a-fan-problem/

Once I get at it I will report problem/fix
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fan repair 1.jpg (87.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Fan repaier2jpg.jpg (92.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Fan repair3.jpg (76.5 KB, 6 views)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 08-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Bos-R/T's Avatar
Bos-R/T Bos-R/T is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wooley Swamps of Abalama
Vehicle: 2001 Black CC R/T
Posts: 1,110
Reputation: 28 Bos-R/T must have done something right
The resistor is about ten bucks so I would try that first before getting all down to the wiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 08-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Davee3 Davee3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Ontario Moonbeam
Vehicle: 2002 Dakota 2 wd
Posts: 2
Reputation: 10 Davee3 is just getting started
Smile My fix worked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davee3 View Post
My problem is different. Runs all speeds except high So never gets full voltage

From a site I will attach I find shorting pins 1 & 2 gives full voltage So I suspect a wiring burn out rather than the resistor pack. It was changed once before


http://www.thegatesofdawn.ca/wordpre...a-fan-problem/

Once I get at it I will report problem/fix
I had same issues as others & could not get the harness connection to resistor pack apart in spite of pulling the keeper out. I suspect based on the connections in the air stream that the problem is rust . This is also what I suspect interfered with full voltage across pins 1 &2 So I cutback insulation on the upstream part of the harness , pushed strands apart , inserted a wire of equal size & soldered at both ends . Voila! It nows works at all speeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 10-08-2010, 02:04 AM
lisasanti lisasanti is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Vehicle: 2001 Durango
Posts: 1
Reputation: 10 lisasanti is just getting started
Talking It works!!!

Thanks for the info on changing the resistor. I picked one up at Napa for $13.00. It took about 15 minutes to install (not bad for a girl) and I only dropped my wrench on my face once...LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:12 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Copyright 2001-2010 Dakota-Durango Archive