2001 Durango heater blower fan resistor - Dakota Durango Forum
Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

post #1 of 13 Old 01-08-2010, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
MontanaNY

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Durango
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

2001 Durango heater blower fan resistor

My Durango (2001 - 4.7L - 122K miles) had the front fan blower quit working. I did once already (a few years ago) replace the fan resistor with the upgraded style. I went to change the resistor and can not get it unplugged.......it looks to have somewhat melted and 2 of the wires had the insulation melted a bit (but no blown fuse). I pulled the fan and replaced that..........mainly since it was little stiff to turn, but it fell off of the bench and broke the squirel cage. I will now be going to get a new plug and connectors so I can fix the plug that goes into the resistor.

Any thoughts and suggestions? Should I look to the switch as a culprit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-08-2010, 08:15 PM
01durango

Vehicle: 2001 Durango 4x4 4.7L

ha I just did this. New blower motor, Harness w/plug and resister will fix it. I did lots of reading and many said the fan motor pulled to much current causing the resister to blow and the harness/wire to melt. So for safety reasons I just replaced it all...heres my thread.

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...28#post2324028
post #3 of 13 Old 01-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Bos-R/T

Vehicle: 2001 Black CC R/T
Modifications: AEM CAI,SCT by hemifever,Gibson headers,High flow magnaflow converters,Magnaflow xpipe and mufflers,underdrive crank pulley,M1 intake,52x55mm F&B TB,Mega viper stage 3 tranny from PATC,Martin Saine VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01durango View Post
ha I just did this. New blower motor, Harness w/plug and resister will fix it. I did lots of reading and many said the fan motor pulled to much current causing the resister to blow and the harness/wire to melt. So for safety reasons I just replaced it all...heres my thread.

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...28#post2324028
x2 What he said
post #4 of 13 Old 01-10-2010, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
MontanaNY

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Durango

Although I started this, I guess I am X3!!

I did change the resistor ($12.00), blower ($75.00) and got the resistor harness ($75.00) installed and all works. I will fell better after a few weeks. My good friend (an electrical engineer for Delphi (GM)) helped me (did most of it) installing the harness. He cut back the wires and soldered in the connections and heat shrunk them. Looks better than new. Anyway, he commented that this is really something that should be a recall issue for Dodge, but since there were no fires or occupant hazard that that would not happen. I am not complaining about my Durango (it has been great), just want to share thoughts and comments.

It was also interesting that the local Dodge dealer commented that they were out of these harnesses and have been "selling them like crazy"! Also, another dealer said that there were 3 upgrades to this harness repair kit and the price went from $19 > $75.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Bos-R/T

Modifications: AEM CAI,SCT by hemifever,Gibson headers,High flow magnaflow converters,Magnaflow xpipe and mufflers,underdrive crank pulley,M1 intake,52x55mm F&B TB,Mega viper stage 3 tranny from PATC,Martin Saine VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaNY View Post
Although I started this, I guess I am X3!!

I did change the resistor ($12.00), blower ($75.00) and got the resistor harness ($75.00) installed and all works. I will fell better after a few weeks. My good friend (an electrical engineer for Delphi (GM)) helped me (did most of it) installing the harness. He cut back the wires and soldered in the connections and heat shrunk them. Looks better than new. Anyway, he commented that this is really something that should be a recall issue for Dodge, but since there were no fires or occupant hazard that that would not happen. I am not complaining about my Durango (it has been great), just want to share thoughts and comments.

It was also interesting that the local Dodge dealer commented that they were out of these harnesses and have been "selling them like crazy"! Also, another dealer said that there were 3 upgrades to this harness repair kit and the price went from $19 > $75.
Wow. Im glad I havent had this happen to mine yet. The only thing I have replaced was the 6.00 resistor.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-27-2010, 07:12 PM
hutchies

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge durango

Make that X4................Replaced the resistor. Didn't see this thread til now after it has burned the 1st one up. Called oreillys and they said it's lifetime warranty.............I said what about the burned up plug. They said sorry call dodge. No dealerships close but autozone shows to carry them so I'm gonna go see.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Montana Dodge
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted

Vehicle: 2001 Dur, 2000 Dak QC

Send a message via Yahoo to Montana Dodge
OK, so I've been putting this off. My MAX High speed on the fan doesn't work. Is this my problem? I'll have to check it out and see if mine is fried.

Jay
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
2001 Durango___________________________2000 QC Dak
5 Speed Auto CAI w/JBA Cat Back____K&N CAI - Flowmaster dual out

post #8 of 13 Old 03-28-2010, 06:01 AM
hutchies

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge durango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Dodge View Post
OK, so I've been putting this off. My MAX High speed on the fan doesn't work. Is this my problem? I'll have to check it out and see if mine is fried.

I would bet so................I bought a new one stuck it in and it didn't work on high then all the sudden it did and started to get hot. I turned the key off and yanked it out before it fried the new one. I stuck the old one back in til I find a new harness and blower motor
post #9 of 13 Old 03-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Montana Dodge
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted

Vehicle: 2001 Dur, 2000 Dak QC

Send a message via Yahoo to Montana Dodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchies View Post
I would bet so................I bought a new one stuck it in and it didn't work on high then all the sudden it did and started to get hot. I turned the key off and yanked it out before it fried the new one. I stuck the old one back in til I find a new harness and blower motor
Well that blows goats for quarters.

Jay
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
2001 Durango___________________________2000 QC Dak
5 Speed Auto CAI w/JBA Cat Back____K&N CAI - Flowmaster dual out

post #10 of 13 Old 08-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Davee3

Vehicle: 2002 Dakota 2 wd

Dakota heater fan control

My problem is different. Runs all speeds except high So never gets full voltage

From a site I will attach I find shorting pins 1 & 2 gives full voltage So I suspect a wiring burn out rather than the resistor pack. It was changed once before

http://www.thegatesofdawn.ca/wordpre...a-fan-problem/

Once I get at it I will report problem/fix
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fan repair 1.jpg (87.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Fan repaier2jpg.jpg (92.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Fan repair3.jpg (76.5 KB, 6 views)
post #11 of 13 Old 08-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Bos-R/T

The resistor is about ten bucks so I would try that first before getting all down to the wiring.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Davee3

Vehicle: 2002 Dakota 2 wd

Smile My fix worked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davee3 View Post
My problem is different. Runs all speeds except high So never gets full voltage

From a site I will attach I find shorting pins 1 & 2 gives full voltage So I suspect a wiring burn out rather than the resistor pack. It was changed once before

http://www.thegatesofdawn.ca/wordpre...a-fan-problem/

Once I get at it I will report problem/fix
I had same issues as others & could not get the harness connection to resistor pack apart in spite of pulling the keeper out. I suspect based on the connections in the air stream that the problem is rust . This is also what I suspect interfered with full voltage across pins 1 &2 So I cutback insulation on the upstream part of the harness , pushed strands apart , inserted a wire of equal size & soldered at both ends . Voila! It nows works at all speeds.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-08-2010, 03:04 AM
lisasanti

Vehicle: 2001 Durango

Talking It works!!!

Thanks for the info on changing the resistor. I picked one up at Napa for $13.00. It took about 15 minutes to install (not bad for a girl) and I only dropped my wrench on my face once...LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: