Trans Temp & O/D Off Lite on?????????? - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transmissions Shift Kits, Transmissions, Torque Converters, Clutches

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-09-2009, 12:13 AM
Harley's Avatar
Harley Harley is offline
01 Durango R/T
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Keller, Texas
Vehicle: 2001,Dodge Durango R/T
Posts: 239
Reputation: 17 Harley is just getting started
Trans Temp & O/D Off Lite on??????????

I have a 01 Durango R/T and when I was driving home today, my O/D Off light came on and I could not switch it to off. Then a few miles later the trans temp light came on. Lucky I was only about a mile from the house and when I made it home, I checked the fluid and it is right on. The temp outside today is in the mid 90's. Not sure what the deal is. Any help would be great!!!
__________________
5 DOOR WHORE #194
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 06-11-2009, 08:49 PM
jweltch's Avatar
jweltch jweltch is offline
People suck.

 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Maricopa, AZ
Vehicle: 03 Black CC Dakota R/T
Posts: 334
Reputation: 12 jweltch is just getting started
Your transmission overheated and went into limp mode. This takes it out of overdrive and (I think) locks the torque converter. It of course also turns on the "Trans temp" light on the dash.

Were you towing with it or something?
__________________
Another Jason! - Maricopa, AZ
2001 Red Durango R/T -His
2003 Black CC Dakota R/T -Hers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 06-11-2009, 09:03 PM
BPKOTA98's Avatar
BPKOTA98 BPKOTA98 is offline
Fuck Obama!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Va
Vehicle: 98 Dakota RC SB V6
Posts: 557
Reputation: 22 BPKOTA98 is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I have a 01 Durango R/T and when I was driving home today, my O/D Off light came on and I could not switch it to off. Then a few miles later the trans temp light came on. Lucky I was only about a mile from the house and when I made it home, I checked the fluid and it is right on. The temp outside today is in the mid 90's. Not sure what the deal is. Any help would be great!!!
The trans has a fault witch, cut off lock-up and made the tranny run hot, thats what cut the temp light on. I would scan the computer and see what codes you got.

Last edited by BPKOTA98; 06-11-2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 06-11-2009, 09:34 PM
jweltch's Avatar
jweltch jweltch is offline
People suck.

 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Maricopa, AZ
Vehicle: 03 Black CC Dakota R/T
Posts: 334
Reputation: 12 jweltch is just getting started
Quote:
The trans has a fault witch, cut off lock-up and made the tranny run hot, thats what cut the temp light on.
What language was that? I don't even understand what that means.

Here's some real information... Scanned out of my 01 Durango Factory Service manual.

__________________
Another Jason! - Maricopa, AZ
2001 Red Durango R/T -His
2003 Black CC Dakota R/T -Hers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 06-11-2009, 11:19 PM
BPKOTA98's Avatar
BPKOTA98 BPKOTA98 is offline
Fuck Obama!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Va
Vehicle: 98 Dakota RC SB V6
Posts: 557
Reputation: 22 BPKOTA98 is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweltch View Post
What language was that? I don't even understand what that means.

Here's some real information... Scanned out of my 01 Durango Factory Service manual.

Hey you can be a smartass all you want but i work on these trucks everyday. Not just some guy who reads stuff on the internet. Just an FYI for ya the transmisson in that truck doesnt have a limp mode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 06-11-2009, 11:23 PM
myrtlebeachbst's Avatar
myrtlebeachbst myrtlebeachbst is offline
The red Beast

 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Myrtle Beach SC
Vehicle: 98 Durango SLT 5.2L
Posts: 3,781
Reputation: 27 myrtlebeachbst must have done something right
Hands on VS the Auto Manual, Hands on wins every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 06-11-2009, 11:51 PM
jweltch's Avatar
jweltch jweltch is offline
People suck.

 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Maricopa, AZ
Vehicle: 03 Black CC Dakota R/T
Posts: 334
Reputation: 12 jweltch is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPKOTA98 View Post
Hey you can be a smartass all you want but i work on these trucks everyday. Not just some guy who reads stuff on the internet. Just an FYI for ya the transmisson in that truck doesnt have a limp mode.
Alright. You work on these every day, then you must have a copy of the FSM handy, right? Check out page 21-316 of your 01 Durango manual (the same page I scanned in from my own copy) and tell me what you'd call that, if it's not a limp mode.
Just because you work on these every day doesn't make you smarter than a manual. I work on $250,000+ industrial machinery every day and I still don't quite have those electrical prints memorized just yet.

Also, for what it's worth... If you're going to try to help someone out, at least do it in a way that they can understand. Rolling your face across the keyboard while thinking about how to fix it doesn't count.
__________________
Another Jason! - Maricopa, AZ
2001 Red Durango R/T -His
2003 Black CC Dakota R/T -Hers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 06-12-2009, 12:15 AM
BPKOTA98's Avatar
BPKOTA98 BPKOTA98 is offline
Fuck Obama!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Va
Vehicle: 98 Dakota RC SB V6
Posts: 557
Reputation: 22 BPKOTA98 is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweltch View Post
Alright. You work on these every day, then you must have a copy of the FSM handy, right? Check out page 21-316 of your 01 Durango manual (the same page I scanned in from my own copy) and tell me what you'd call that, if it's not a limp mode.
Just because you work on these every day doesn't make you smarter than a manual. I work on $250,000+ industrial machinery every day and I still don't quite have those electrical prints memorized just yet.

Also, for what it's worth... If you're going to try to help someone out, at least do it in a way that they can understand. Rolling your face across the keyboard while thinking about how to fix it doesn't count.
First, If you don't like what I have to say O WELL! You did not need to respond with anything about it. Second, that is still not limp mode. Limp mode in a chrysler puts you back to second gear. Also read his post it says that the o/d light was flashing before the trans temp light came on. So that would lead me to believe there is another problem. I don't work on 250,000+ industrial machinery, I work on transmissions like the very one he is refering to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 06-13-2009, 06:11 AM
medic201's Avatar
medic201 medic201 is offline
Toxic Avenger

 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Durango
Posts: 1,116
Reputation: 20 medic201 is just getting started
Garage
Ok this is exactly what mine is doing. The scanner is not picking up a error code but it does say the fluid temp is 266 at idle and the OD switch on the shifter is working but will not turn the light off. It did show a code of P1740 the first time it did it a month ago. Now it has been in and out of the shop 4 times. It works perfectly for about 30 miles then the OD light comes on, doesnt flash just stays on, it shifts into third and the trans temp light comes on. The governor solenoid, 4th gear and lock up solenoids have been replaced, the cooler and cooler lines have been flushed. The overdrive unit was pulled and inspected. It checked out ok and was put back in. The wiring loom was replaced. It wont shift into first in drive from a stop. It feels like it is stuck in second until it cools off. Im open to any suggestions at this point. Its a 2003 5.9 4x4 durango.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 06-13-2009, 01:48 PM
BPKOTA98's Avatar
BPKOTA98 BPKOTA98 is offline
Fuck Obama!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Va
Vehicle: 98 Dakota RC SB V6
Posts: 557
Reputation: 22 BPKOTA98 is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic201 View Post
Ok this is exactly what mine is doing. The scanner is not picking up a error code but it does say the fluid temp is 266 at idle and the OD switch on the shifter is working but will not turn the light off. It did show a code of P1740 the first time it did it a month ago. Now it has been in and out of the shop 4 times. It works perfectly for about 30 miles then the OD light comes on, doesnt flash just stays on, it shifts into third and the trans temp light comes on. The governor solenoid, 4th gear and lock up solenoids have been replaced, the cooler and cooler lines have been flushed. The overdrive unit was pulled and inspected. It checked out ok and was put back in. The wiring loom was replaced. It wont shift into first in drive from a stop. It feels like it is stuck in second until it cools off. Im open to any suggestions at this point. Its a 2003 5.9 4x4 durango.
I would like to know if they replaced the govenor solenoid, or did they just clean it. also did they replace the govenor pressure sensor(trans temp sensor)? I would be looking at the temp sensor. The P1740 is a TCC Solenoid performance code, one of the few possible causes for this code is a temp sensor problem. Also do you have a scan tool you can use to watch the govenor pressure while driving the truck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 06-13-2009, 05:39 PM
medic201's Avatar
medic201 medic201 is offline
Toxic Avenger

 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Durango
Posts: 1,116
Reputation: 20 medic201 is just getting started
Garage
No I do not have a scanner. Im supposed to take it back today for round 5. Can the trans temp sensor fail with out throwing a code? They are thinking mechanical now because its not showing any fault codes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 06-13-2009, 06:04 PM
xbxjunkie's Avatar
xbxjunkie xbxjunkie is offline
the DOC can SUCK IT !!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ
Vehicle: 2012 Durango R/T
Posts: 2,519
Reputation: 161 xbxjunkie is a name known to allxbxjunkie is a name known to all
not saying this is it but i'll throw it out there, in one of the trans cooler lines there is a check valve built into it, something to do with the flow of the tranny fluid, perhaps when the lines were flushed maybe some crap messed it up somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 06-13-2009, 06:45 PM
medic201's Avatar
medic201 medic201 is offline
Toxic Avenger

 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Durango
Posts: 1,116
Reputation: 20 medic201 is just getting started
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbxjunkie View Post
not saying this is it but i'll throw it out there, in one of the trans cooler lines there is a check valve built into it, something to do with the flow of the tranny fluid, perhaps when the lines were flushed maybe some crap messed it up somehow.
Thanks, I am willing to check anything at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 06-13-2009, 07:28 PM
BPKOTA98's Avatar
BPKOTA98 BPKOTA98 is offline
Fuck Obama!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Va
Vehicle: 98 Dakota RC SB V6
Posts: 557
Reputation: 22 BPKOTA98 is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic201 View Post
No I do not have a scanner. Im supposed to take it back today for round 5. Can the trans temp sensor fail with out throwing a code? They are thinking mechanical now because its not showing any fault codes.
If the temp sensor is reading the wrong temp it can cause alot of werid things to happen with out setting a code. Also check the govenor solenoid and make sure it was replaced. The transmission will not act right with junk in the soleniod.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 06-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Harley's Avatar
Harley Harley is offline
01 Durango R/T
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Keller, Texas
Vehicle: 2001,Dodge Durango R/T
Posts: 239
Reputation: 17 Harley is just getting started
I ended having the govenor solenoid and 4th gear and lock up solenoids replaced as well and now my trucks starts off in first gear and all was good for about week. Driving home the other day (12 miles) from work, my o/d off light came back on but the trans temp did not. Though when I went to work the next morning, everything is fine. It is only happening when I drive home and it is 100 degress outside. I took it to the shop again and they that the fluid will need to be changed or I might have a faulty o/d unit and quoted me around $600 to replace. Ouch. will update on what I decide to do, (sell or fix)
__________________
5 DOOR WHORE #194
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:02 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Copyright 2001-2010 Dakota-Durango Archive