Dakota Durango Forum banner

Viper IRS swap?

10K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Rob454 
#1 ·
Anybody here ever hear of anyone doing a Viper independent rear suspension swap?

I've found a diff/axle thing from one, I'm just not sure how much of a pain it will be to add the upper and lower control arm mounting parts.

I think this truck would handle much better with an IRS.

Any thoughts?

See less See more
#6 ·
why? driveshafts can easily be modified for any application.

a little planning, A LOT of measuring, and then building it, i think it would be awesome!! :drool: A truck frame can be very easy to build onto. Box it where it needs the extra strength and add whatever you want. Not only handling, but traction off the line would improve A LOT with an IRS setup. Ive had dreams of taking a Suby or Evo draintrain and dropping a genII body on it... AWD would be SO sick.

#8 ·
Serious fab work? Ya think?:jester: I'm just worried that when I mounted the control arms to the back, my wheels would stick out an extra foot on each side. That was my main concern.:funny:

Since that rear end pictured above is only $900, I think it might be doable.:woot:

#9 ·
:drool::drool::drool:
:thankyou:

Duuuuude. That truck is fawesome! (short for fucking awesome):jester:

The rear end is really bad looking, but the rest of it sounds unbelieveably desireable. I'm gonna do it! When I get the money, after I win the lottery.:jester:

Seriously though, thanks for that link dude.:mullet:

#12 ·
Got a 33mm front and Hotchkis in the rear, still not good enough. :nana:

Telling me to get a sway bar and call it a day is like me telling you to get a supercharger and not a tune to go with it. Just run a Mopar PCM and call it a day.:jester:

#15 ·
just fyi......

dak rear track width 62.9 in (08 model dak) not sure if it changed for ours

viper rear track width 60.9

it will work and is in my current plans...just trying to find the parts and the money....sometime you can find the entire (complete) back half off the viper and saw on on ebay a while back for only 4k

but wheel spacing will be the biggest part in this working with it being a full inch less on each side

#16 · (Edited)
why not use a cobra IRS setup?? parts avalibility and prices will be much more budget friendly... alot of the people who bought 99-04 cobras swapped out for a solid rear set-up. for instence heres and entire set up out of a 03cobra for $1500

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003...6417491QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3756.m20.l1116
(ohhhhhh snap and its in arizona, now you gotta do it 1hotkadota)

just some food for thought... i guess the only real problem would be the lug patterns wouldnt match up but they make billet adaptors to fix that for pretty cheap. i say DO IT!!!

oh ya and check this out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Heid...RS-Heidts_W0QQitemZ350044045712QQcmdZViewItem

#17 ·
as that would make possibly cheaper....i myself will still be going with the viper irs....the engineering in the viper irs out does all of the others out there....it is the only irs in existence that from full compression to full extension has less than one full degree of camber difference

#21 ·
I saw a guy do a corvette rear suspension on a camaro. not really the same thing but nobody wanted to mess with it so the guy did it himself. this was abotu 5 years ago at a car show
Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.