Dakota Durango Forum banner

Transfer cases and their interchangeability

46K views 60 replies 12 participants last post by  This name is al 
#1 ·
what year did the dakotas switch from a manual t-case to shift on the fly?? My truck is an 03 and she is shift on the fly. I'd like to install a manual t-case and want to know if other years are a bolt in or not.

#7 ·
231 is part time 4wd with manual shift.

233 is part time 4wd with electric shift.

242 is part/full time 4wd with manual shift.

243 is part/ full time 4wd with electric shift.

#12 ·
Full-time 4wd (aka AWD) means you can use it anytime you want. Part-time 4wd (aka 4HI LOCK) means you can use it during times of low traction.

The difference between them is that full-time 4wd has an open differential in the transfer case that allows 4wd to be used, but also allows differentiation between the two axles for street use.

Part-time 4wd bypasses the center differential and locks both driveshafts together, which makes street driving impossible unless you're an idiot who can ignore horrible grinding sounds.

#13 ·
i must be over looking something here thats all. i had a 242 in my jeep.it was 2wd,4 full time,4 part,neutral, & 4 lo... does the dak 242 have the same features?id assume it did.& is it possible to bolt one up (manual) if i cut the floor? mines got the 233 in it now.would i benefite(sp) at all?

#14 ·
The earlier Dak 242 t-case had the 2wd position on it's shifter. When they went to the electric shift 243 they did away with the 2wd position.

Having owned a V8 Jeep ZJ with the 242 (installed it myself) there was virtually no mileage difference between 2wd part time/4wd full time since like the Daks everything turned all the time anyway but handling, especially in winter, was better in 4wd full time so it spent most of it's time there anyway. The 2wd option was nice for sliding on corners and scaring the wife though.:D

I wish the wife's Dak had the 243 in it because she doesn't really understand when you should use part time 4wd and it would be easier on the truck (and my nerves) if I didn't have to worry about her using it when she shouldn't. For 99% of her driving the 4wd full time position would be perfect and I may install a 243 if I can get a deal on one.

#16 ·
If you want or need the full time option.

The 231 is considered to be a stronger t-case though and there is more aftermarket support for them than there is for the 242.

#25 ·
having full-time (AWD) is nice anytime. You'll always have traction, you don't have to worry about whether or not you need 4wd. I've done a lot of serious off-roading and never gone into hi or lo lock on mine. Hell, the blizzard we had in '06/'07, 3ft of snow from one 36 hr storm, I was out transporting emergency personel, I was in 4hi (AWD mode) the entire time making my own roads and dodging portable snow drifts. Never once need lock.

#19 ·
full time like having awd you can have it in all the time just like 2wd.i used that mode alot in my jeep when the road were really bad in the winter.& part time i used only when i really needed 4 wheels drive & 4lo i never used.

#26 ·
Not anymore, as I get older I have relinquished that title to my children, just like my dad did to me during my teen years.:funny:

#29 ·
anybody else have an opinion?? Anybody here ever swapped t-cases before? I'll possibly be looking at doing this swap in the fall/ winter. Ima guessing ima gonna loose part of my factory console to cut through the trans tunnel to allow for the shifter.

#31 ·
You could go with factory pieces from an earlier year for the shift assembly and use factory parts and pieces to cover all the holes.

Or you could use the universal shifter that Novak sells http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_sk2x.htm . I had one of their shifters in my 93 Jeep ZJ with the 5.2/242 and it shifted way more positive than the factory linkage.

#32 ·
So np 231 (part time) or np 242 (full time)?? Both will bolt in to an 03 dakota correct?? I like the full time option of the 242 but I know the 231 will bolt in without issue. What is the overall opinion of you dakota owners who regularily wheel their trucks??

#33 ·
I've never had a problem in all the times I've wheeled mine, one thing I will say though, is that you do get too confident with the AWD. I've come close to biting off more than I could chew because I was too confident in the AWD and got into something that I should have been in lo loc to get through and ended up getting stuck.

#34 · (Edited)
NP 242 came in the ZJ and the XJ. Looks like they came with 21 spline count vs the 231 which is a 23 spline count. Am I repeating info already posted??

I am leaning towards the 231. It looks like I am going to have to start pricing out a 231.

Can anybody tell me again which years and models vehicles fit the Dakota?? ie jeep to dodge etc.

#35 ·
Most of them should fit, the difference will be the length of the input gear/slip yoke.. I have swapped between my truck, my XJ's, and a awd ZJ. All were the same, except the input gears. I have a spare input actually, so if you find one and it's not from a dodge PM me. Don't worry about the 4x4 light/shifter, another thing to look for would be to find one from a jeep and then use the speed sensor on the tcase when you swap the rear axle.

Kevin

#37 ·
If the input is a different length you could probably use the input from your 233 in the 231 since other than the electric shift it is basically the same t-case. Be aware that there was a slight change in the gear cut angle in the planetary section of the New Process/New Venture cases in about 95 or so and your input will not work with the pre 95 cases.

#39 ·
In this whole thread no one said any thing about the NV244 full time case used in the 02-03's .It's AWD (haha)really FWD until wheel slippage is senced then kicks in the rear through a slip/lock diff in case. Or switch to 4H and lock all 4. 2L for crawling and Nuetral.:funny:

#42 ·
Bump.

I still want to do this swap. Now that the axle swap is done this is the next step for me. Currently my front output is a cv and I want to run a yoke. The front driveshaft is bolted up with those lousy 6 metric screws and that is the weak link in my drivetrain. I am actively looking for a np231.

#43 ·
You could just change the yoke to one of the more common yokes. The 231/233/242/249 t-cases from Dodge/Jeep all use the same spline on the front output. I know when I swapped the 249 in my Jeep Grand Cherokee I used the yoke from my 249 on the 242 that I swapped in so I didn't have to screw with the front driveshaft. IIRC the NP 208 used in the older Dodges/Jeeps may also use the same spline.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.