Currently have 2.72s need more acceleration with bigger tires 32x11.5x15
What will my top speed be with these gears
How much will I notice a difference?
:help:

:drive:

1993 Dodge Dakota 4x4
3.9L V6 Vortex Dual Exhaust
32x11.5 Wild Country Radial RVT's
270,000 miles on original engine, tranny, and rear end!

#2 ·
since you have a 4x4, your going to have to change them both. 3.55-3.92 are good all around street gears. i have them in my 95 dak with a v6 and 70mph, im spinning about 2500rpm, putting these gears in will probably correct the speedo, yours r's are probably pretty low due to the hight of your tires and such a low gear. i would look to jegs.com, truckperformance.com, randys ring and pinion, stuff like that.

pick up a trucking magzine too, they have ishloads of advertisers in the ack of that book.

jim

#3 ·
Im thinkin of going to 4.56's Im gonna be puttin on 32x115x15's and want the low gearing to get the acceleration back. Whats the ballpark for this? front and rear plus installation...humor me.
What kinda rpm's would I be at, at 70 mph with the 32's and 4.56's?
Got a 97 5.2 auto 4x4

#4 ·
You should go no less than the 3.92's but with a V6, 4.10's would do even better for you. You should feel sooo much of a difference it's not even funny. Your RPM's will be much higher and you low-end torque will be sooo much more noticable than ever. If you might to to even bigger tires then definitely go with the 4.10's

With my 4.7 V8 and 33's I'm still running stock 3.92 gears in mine. If I do anything, I'm going to 4.56's since I'm making my truck a powerhouse of a lifted 4x4, and I might even go to 35's sometime soon.

When I priced out 4.56's for my truck, I got about $130 for the front and $160 for the rear. The install kits are about $120 for the front and $60 for the rear. That's just under $500 without labor. This price might be a little higher or lower if you just throw the keys at a shop and have them take care of it. Those prices are for a 29 spline 8.25" rear and an 8" front, so anything different also might be more or less. Hope that helps...

#5 ·
Yellowkota2k how do ya like the 4.56's? Im really considering it but what do you think? I got the 8.25 rear and I think 8 up front, Im also goin to be puttin in an lsd what do you recommend? I have the 5.2 fyi.

#6 ·
Yea im retarded, thought you said you had 4.56's. Dont mine me lol

#7 ·
:rofl: That's alright man, it happens. ;)

97-99 have the Dana 35 and 2000 and newer have a "C205mm" which is commonly called an 8". That might help when shopping around for gears for the front.

If you've got an open diff right now (check just to make sure if you don't know) then the cheapest way to go would be the Dana (Chrysler) Trac-Lock. It's the factory unit installed into all LSD's from the factory, including mine. Mine just does me no good anymore for offroading, so I'm waiting to install my Detroit locker to kick some ass offroad. If you're going to be doing some hard offroading and don't mind a bit of street noise, then a locker is for you. If you only go offroad only a little bit and don't want any noise, then you made the right choice of a LSD.

#8 ·
Yea I have the open diff (makes no sense that a 4x4 has an open diff) and 3.55's. I would probably have to go with lsd but what about a remote locker, arent their electronic and vacuum actuated lockers?
Man a dana 35 just seems a lil weak specially for the weight and hp/tq of these trucks, am I wrong?
A guy I know has a 60 in the rear and I forget what up front, maybe another 60, but detroit lockers front and rear, on his damn tacoma, 4.68 gears and chevy leafs out back. My dream would be solid axle conv. 60's front and rear, detrioits, 35's, 4.56's, novi2000, all the engine goodies(m1, tb, 1.7's, forged pistons, etc) pph headers, gsm exhaust..........damn I need to get goin.........

G
#9 ·
Dodge Dakota said:
How much would it cost for either 4.10s or 3.92s

1993 Dodge Dakota 4x4
3.9L V6 Vortex Dual Exhaust
32x11.5 Wild Country Radial RVT's
270,000 miles on original engine, tranny, and rear end!
FWIW, Unless some one changed them your 93 Dakota came with 3.55's stock and the optional facory gear set was 3.92.

Gear sets can be purchased for $175-$200 each depending one where you go. Should plan on a master overhaul kit (all the bearings) with 270K miles, these are about $100 each. Figure labor to be 3-4 hours per axle. Better budget $600 for parts and $600 for labor.

#10 ·
A V6 + 32. = 4.10's atleast...

I have run 3.9's with a 26" overall tire, that was FUN! (though it was really high in the RPMs at 120 LMAO)

I love acceleration, I have 27" Tires and 3.55 right now, I am really thinking of switching up to some 3.9 if not 4.1s...

But I'm CRAZY! :mullet:

#11 ·
Dodge Dakota said:
How much would it cost for either 4.10s or 3.92s
32 inch tires with 4.56 gears should be the equivilent of 3.92.

Btw, 2.72 seems a bit high for stock gearing on a truck????

#12 ·
Thanks for the help

Yeah those 2.72's and the 32's are killing my acceleration
I dont want to top out too soon so 4.56's seem to be a little to much but the 3.92's or 4.10's would be nice

When the V6 goes i want to put the 5.2L V8 with a mopar performance PCM in to give it little more power and finding performance parts for this 3.9 is a lot harder than for the 5.2

Any more suggestions?

:clap2: :drive:

#14 ·
Dodge Dakota said:
Any more suggestions?
Gears will make the BIGGEST difference in the world in your acceleration. The power your engine makes means nothing if you don't have the right ratio gears to turn your tires.

Other than that, the normal performance mods will help like intake, exhaust, bigger thorttle body (a V8 one would be cheapest and easiest for you), bigger cams, and even a performance chip or tuner.

G
#15 ·
Dodge Dakota said:
Yeah those 2.72's and the 32's are killing my acceleration
I dont want to top out too soon so 4.56's seem to be a little to much but the 3.92's or 4.10's would be nice
:clap2: :drive:
Are you sure you have 2.72's. No 4x4 Dakota came from the facotry with those gears and I can't imagine any one making that swap. The stock gears set in all 4x4 Dakotas was 3.55 and 3.91 was the optional gears set.

#17 ·
factory axle is fine for what you have. you not driving a 426 hemi... no need for that big of a rear. btw, the beefier the rear, the more rotational mass there is inside it. theres alot you can do to the factory rear to make it solid. ive seen 8.25 rears in cars that were running 10's all day. just get a good differential, and good bearings and seals all the way around and youll be happy with it.

#18 ·
#19 ·
First, I'd figure out what difference the tire change makes using the "calculator." Then, just figure the percentage change you made in gears. You should be able to use that number to find the total change you made from stock tires/stock gears to your new tire setup with new gears. By going to bigger tires, you "raised" your effective final drive ratio, but then you lowered it againg by going to lower (higher numerically) gears. The two canceled each other out to a degree, you just need to figure out how much.

By my calculations, your gears are about 28.5% "higher" now. Figure out the percentage change in going to bigger tires using the tire size calculator, and compare the two numbers. Then add the resulting percentage to you original final drive ratio. Say your tires account for a 20% lower effective ratio. The difference would be 8.5% (28.5-20). 3.55 + 8.5% = 3.85:1. Of course, this number is just for comparison with your original gearing, and gives you the speedometer change (your speedo would read about 8.5% fast). Let me know what you figger out based on the calculator.

Anybody is welcome to check my math or correct my method.

#21 ·
3.55's

I now have 3.55's and 235/75R15 wrangler AT's and the acceleration has improved incredibly

I still have the 32x11.5x15 Wild Country Radial RVT Mud Terrains and still could use taller gears. Would 4.56's be enough to go to the mud drags with?
-Saving up for headers, msd ignition, 4" inch lift, 33x14x15 boggers

#22 ·
Dodge Dakota said:
I now have 3.55's and 235/75R15 wrangler AT's and the acceleration has improved incredibly

I still have the 32x11.5x15 Wild Country Radial RVT Mud Terrains and still could use taller gears. Would 4.56's be enough to go to the mud drags with?
-Saving up for headers, msd ignition, 4" inch lift, 33x14x15 boggers
Yup, they sure will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.