Dakota Durango Forum banner

hard start when warm

14K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Jenn27549 
#1 ·
well my winter beater, 98 Dakota 3.9 auto 4x4, has been acting up since I bought it but it didn't really bother me, as my good truck was still in storage for winter so I couldn't down this one. The problem is that when it's warm (engine temp wise) it starts hard. Sometimes it'll chug along and finally idle up after normal cranking time, but most of the time, it'll crank for a good 3-6 seconds and then finally fire up, and that's with me feathering the throttle. but when it's cold out, like near freezing, and the engine is just being started for the day, it fires up after only a few revolutions. I've got a fuel pressure tester at home, and now that my good truck is on the road, I'm going to do some work on the old dakota, clean the tb, oil change, rear brakes need attention, etc. Just wondering anything strikes you guys right off the bat for me to check.

#2 ·
Sounds like an injector leaking down into the intake..... I know i have one leaking and if i try to start it at temp say 15 min after i shut it off, it is a bitch to start....pops to life at about 9:1 a/f

#4 ·
hey guys, thanks for the responses. apparently my email notifications aren't working for any of my threads for some reason.

well I cleaned my throttle body and it seems to have fixed the problem. cranks right up now, hot or cold.

#5 ·
Hey guys, I'm having the same problem with my 2004 Durango. I have the 5.7 Hemi in it, and the engine is actually out of a 2008 2500 pickup. The engine only has about 35,000 miles on it but the rest of the vehicle is at 200k.

When we did the swap 2 months ago we replaced and/or cleaned all the components, so I know the throttle body is in good shape and clean. Plugs, battery, coils, etc... all new. When this problem first presented itself we changed the starter, thinking that was the likely culprit, but it still does it and gets worse as time goes on.

Like others I've read about it starts right up when cold. Only when warm does it hesitate. Sometimes a little, sometimes alot. I read elsewhere on here it could be the fuel pump or the CPS sensor, but I don't want to go changing anything without a better idea of which one to start with. Any ideas? No lights or anything are on, and otherwise runs great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.