Dakota Durango Forum banner

Replacement PCM

26K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  JABrosnan 
#1 ·
Does anyone know where I can buy a new PCM for my truck that is already "Flashed"? All I have found so far are new unflashed units or rebuilt units that are claimed to be flashed. I suspect the rebuilt units have the contents of the last owners PROM. I don't want a performace unit, just a plain vanilla new stock PCM & flash.

Thanks.

#3 ·
New will cost about 800 from the dealer. Used of rebuilt is the way to go.

#5 ·
Thanks. I'll check it out.

The rebuilt part worries me. I'd like to know what "rebuilt" means. I'm going to give them a call & see what's up.

I'm looking for a flashed unit since I won't be able to drive the truck to the dealer after installing a new, unflashed PCM. No flash, no computer control:funny:

#6 ·
The only "flashing" that is done is possibly to enter the VIN. The PCM does not need the VIN to operate. If there is no VIN in the PCM, the ABS lamp will illuminate and the ABS will not function. Everything else will work and the vehicle is driveable. The dealer will charge you 1/2-1 hour labor to flashi in a VIN which will be $50-100.

Note, the VIN in the PCM does not have to match you vehicle's VIN. The PCM just needs to have a VIN in it. Many of us have used PCMs. Also note, the dealer cannot change the VIN in a PCM once it has been entered in it. (I 'm not sure how the rubuilders are doing that) There are a number of people who have purchased PCM from PCM refurbishment places.

Answer one question. Do you have the factory alarm system? When you lock the doors, is there a red secutty light that flashes on the dash?

#9 · (Edited)
Answer one question. Do you have the factory alarm system? When you lock the doors, is there a red secutty light that flashes on the dash?

I don't have the "High-Line" system. No alarm.

So you think that if I buy a new PCM from Dodge (or any manufacturer) it will contain the ignition timing tables, warm-up look-up tables, O2 calibration tables, etc? It just won't have MY VIN # in it? If that's all it's missing then a new Chrysler module would work fine for me. I'll have to get the VIN flashed before I take it infor it's next emissions test to clear the "Check Engine" light.

Cool.

#10 ·
Checked w/ Cardone about rebuilt PCMs. Cardone sells through RockAuto. Couldn't get a response from solopcms.com. A "rebuilt" is actually just a repaired module. Cardone claims they diagnose the core unit & replace any circuits that fail testing. They also have a database of known problem circuits in all the PCMs on the market. Based on that database they replace any circuits on the core PCM which is in their list of problems. But that's the extend of a "rebuild". Connectors are not replaced, passives are not replaced (unless they fail testing), all ICs are not replaced, PWBs are not replaced. Unfortunately these components degrade over time. PCMs that are located in the engine bay suffer more than those that are located in the cabin. So part of the rebuilt PCM is new, part is used.

I would prefer a new unit if I can find one. Currently Dodge shows the part for my truck as active. I've been quoted about $100 more than the cost of a rebuilt unit from an on-line Dodge Parts Dealer. That's probably where I'll end up.

#13 ·
Hey guys, there's a lot of good info in this thread but I'm still pulling my hair out trying to find a new pcm for my 99 Durango. I sent mine in to get checked out and it's completely trashed. The clear gel that's supposed to be inside was black and chunky... whomever owned this thing before me must have left out some overheating issues. So I'm stuck between remanufactured or used. I've read a lot of bad reviews for most of these companies that claim to offer plug&play pcms, so I'm thinking I may just go the used route unless somebody on here has better information. I read on another thread that I need to make sure the software numbers match, but I'm having a hard time finding that info before buying a used model. I found a place locally that can re-flash whatever used unit I buy, but I'm still not clear on the best path forward. Some people say you don't need to re-flash, others say you do... The previous owner didn't have a key fob for it, so I bought one and had the dealership program it but it only works for door locks, not the alarm, not sure what kind of security system it has, apparently that matters? This is all new to me, so any tips on best course of action from people with actual experience in this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.