Votes: 20 26.7%

Does your 4.7L have "lash adjuster noise"

60K views 85 replies 33 participants last post by  g48572 
#1 ·
Yes or no

#8 ·
what's a lash adjuster noise?

#9 ·
I voted no, as the ticking I get at startup is a broken exhaust manifold stud. Very common on 4.7s. Also a great excuse to get headers :stirthepo

#12 ·
Because no one wants to answer me..

I assume the crappy sound it makes when its started in the motor? Yeah my truck sounds like that for a few minutes. Then it's smooth and too quite. Makes me have to check the RPMs and I hate wasting my valuable time doing so - I should be texting.

#13 ·
Because no one wants to answer me..
Basically speaking, its a lifter tap noise. 4.7Ls are SOHC motors so they don't have traditional lifters, they have a much smaller version of a lifter called a lash adjuster that basically keeps the cam followers in constant contact with the camshaft and the valve at all times, they work in the exact same way as a lifter they just don't move.

#14 ·
That's a big yes for me!

#15 ·
Ahh good to know.

I had a Titan. Had a tick and nothing would get rid of it. You couldn't hear it standing outside infront of the truck, but open the hood and you could hear it with ease.

Nothing new to me.

Good schooling on me though. At least now I know what it is..didn't even know they had something like that

#20 ·
Only makes noise on my Durango when the oil level is too low. It eats a little more than a quart in 3000 miles. If I neglect changing it for too long the lifter clatter at startup (only) will remind me to take it in...

#22 ·
NOT always lash adjusters...

I can answer this question and PLEASE think about your specific issue regarding the 4.7 engine ... I had an issue with my oil pressure dropping off to 0 but it happened at a cold (10 deg. F.) start up. I had a new oil pump put in and the oil pick-up tube cleaned out. I should note that THESE 4.7 liter engines had a horrible oiling systems and even worse problem with sludge build up. That said, after 6 months on the new oil pump, the engine started clattering at start up. 30 to 60 seconds of oil pressure it would quiet down and NO NOISE. I got sick of it and replaced ALL 16 lash adjusters AND thoroughly cleaned each rocker arm/cam follower assembly. My efforts yielded a 75% reduction in engine clatter at start up, but not all of it. I'm convinced these engines (the 4.7) were poorly engineered. So if you are thinking of going through the hassle of replacing the valve lash adjusters, don't be surprised if it does NOT give you the results you expected. The 4.7 engines are junk, and I'm going to replace the 4.7 with the 318 w/t computer.

#27 · (Edited)
Hate to say it but you’re a minority in your beliefs and opinions.
When Chrysler builds hundreds of thousands of 4.7L engines installing them into the Dakota, Durango, Ram & Jeeps over the last 12 years... you’re bound to get a few bad apples.

With that said, through my personal experience gained over the last 10 years with my 4.7L and working on and around specifically 4.7L engines.

I have made the 4.7L my business… I get ALL the 4.7L phone calls with all the 4.7L issues, I hear all the 4.7L claims… but a rarely get those with your claims… and when I do, its normally someone who read “a” post on the internet and they adopted the claim as gospel.

If YOU do some real research you will find MOST 4.7L owners have zero issues. Sure, soccer moms tend to be bad news for any engine... and when the 4.7L is the primary engine in the JEEP GC and Dodge Durango, Dakota & Ram... from 1999-2011 you’re going to have a handful of poorly maintained 4.7L engines with all the issues you mentioned.

Having personally beaten the living hell out of my 4.7L engine daily for over 10 years, seeing 6000+ RPMs 1st 2nd & 3rd 10-15 times a day with a handful of 7,000RPM and 7,5000 RPM test runs for good measure over a 10 year period! Other than the few times I was doing MPG testing… I was WOT EVERY DAY EVERYWHERE I WENT! I can personally contest to the impressiveness of the 4.7L durability & design. If there was an oil issue as you claim… I know I would have found it! BUT I had no oiling issues… what so ever. I have NEVER had an issue with sludge, perhaps I changed my oil too often?

Have you had a 4.7L apart yet? Don’t bad mouth it until you have actually had one apart… If you’re a true performance guy at all, you will quickly notice the race engineered design and potential of this engine. The 28-bolt bed-plate is the first thing that should make you giggle with happiness… The oil pump location in my opinion is genius and a far improvement over shaft driven pumps.

My advice to you is to run full Synthetic oil...Change your oil on time... RUN IT HARD!!! Change your oil on time... RUN IT HARD!!!! Change your oil on time...

The 4.7L is a bad ass engine with TONS of potential! :mullet:

SPEED SAFE, NICK

#23 ·
Why does everyone keep saying that these engines are "junk" and that they have issues with sludge build up? Maybe people need to stay on top of their routine maintenance and stop blaming the engine for the issues.......

#25 ·
Following up...

What I failed to mention was I bought MY 2002 used after someone else had already raped it for 3 years.
My first BRAND NEW 2000 Durango with the exact engine, I ran 100% of the time every 3,000 miles Mobil 1 with NO ENGINE issues.

Now, being a 45 year old mechanical engineer, I have owned ALL types of cars with ALL types of engines.... This engine is an engineering disaster! Look through the forums (everywhere on the internet) and you will see the same story by countless 4.7 owners... They are junk motors, and one shouldn't HAVE to run full synthetic oil AND A PRAYER in hopes the engine will make it to 100k.

#26 ·
What I failed to mention was I bought MY 2002 used after someone else had already raped it for 3 years.
My first BRAND NEW 2000 Durango with the exact engine, I ran 100% of the time every 3,000 miles Mobil 1 with NO ENGINE issues.

Now, being a 45 year old mechanical engineer, I have owned ALL types of cars with ALL types of engines.... This engine is an engineering disaster! Look through the forums (everywhere on the internet) and you will see the same story by countless 4.7 owners... They are junk motors, and one shouldn't HAVE to run full synthetic oil AND A PRAYER in hopes the engine will make it to 100k.
Oh, I get it now - the one that you bought used was a heap, and the one you maintained from new was fine........do I see a pattern here?

#28 ·
My experience with 4.7,s has lead me to one conclusion, its all about maintnence and not babying them all the time. First 4.7 I messed with was a 99 jeep grand cherokee. My dad bought it with a "bad" 4.7 at 120k miles. We pulled it apart to find out it had lost oil flow to the cams and destroyed them and the heads. Bottom end was still fine he bought a set of used heads from a junkyard motor and ran it till he sold it at 175k that motor was silent. Second was a 03 qc ram 120k miles motor had a miss. Turned out it had dropped a couple rocker arms, replaced those and it ran like a top but god was it noisy for the first few minutes it ran never could figure out why. My fiances parents have a 2000 durango, they bought it new and have always ran synthetic and I can tell you it has had the sack ran off of it and is noisy at startup but has never had a problem in 137k miles. My grandpas 2000 dak 4.7 has 160k and is silent never had a problem. Mine is noisy for a minute or two at startup but quiets down and runs strong! It has been wrecked twice (previous owners) ran hard and put away wet but never misses a beat

Reactions: V8 Cowboy
#36 ·
Does anyone remember the good ol' days? 727 and 904 Torqueflites... New Process 833s... You could bolt those 'boxes to a locomotive, and you wouldn't break 'em!

#40 ·
No noise on startup. I use a NAPA Gold 1085 oil filter with the drain-back flap, and Mobil1 synthetic 5w30 hi-mileage every 4500-5000 miles. The only time the valve covers have come off was for HO cams @100K. One water pump replaced. 280,000 miles reached this week. :bs2: for those who say Chrysler's last USA built V8 isn't top notch! It's still largely true that if don't know the history of a used vehicle, you're buying someone else's problems.

#42 ·
I would also have to say yes. Mine makes a rattling sound for about 3-5 seconds and then makes a slight tapping noise for another 10 seconds. Then it is quiet as ever. Would both sounds be considered valve lash noise?? Mine has 112k on it. I have had it since 50k. It was used as a police vehicle. So even though it only had 50k on it, I am sure it had several hours of idling time. It uses about a quart every 3k. I knew I was rolling the dice when I bought it but I needed a vehicle to last me a couple of years until I could afford a newer one. My wife's Mazda had the trans go out for the second time so we had to buy her a new car. 62k miles and 4 years later I am still driving it. I love it. My only complaint is the gas mileage but what do you expect?

Kevin

#46 ·
The 1085 holds about twice the oil of the dinky OEM filter that cam on my '01. I've basically used this size filter on my Mopars since 1977, even on the little 2.2 4-cylinders in the 80's. :banana2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.