Dakota Durango Forum banner

Sub box under GenII Dak rear seat?

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  tjbugs1 
#1 ·
Sorry if this is already out there somewhere, I searched, but I don't have the time or patience to read ten pages of threads that match my keywords:

I was wondering if anyone has made the a gen II CC's rear storage/jack compartment area into a sub box. I have two Jensen 10's and I want to cut a hole in each of the door panels and bolt one speaker, facing upward, to the underside of each. Or, I can put both subs into one panel, and the amp on the other side/underneath.
Either way, I want to keep my rear seat functional because I have to drive more than one passenger fairly often. And having it under the seat is super low key, completely my style.

I'm not asking if this can be done, cause I know I can do it, no problem. All I need to know is, can I get good sound out of something plastic like that? I have no concept of how 'proper' sub boxes are designed, but I have only seen them made of wood. Also, the box the subs are coming out of has two big ass plastic vent holes that are circular with about a 6" diameter, are those important?

I can pretty easily build a custom one out of wood, but I don't want that extra weight, and I really want to keep at least one of my storage compartments functional.

As always, thanks for any tips or ideas!

See less See more
#4 ·
After I did some research, I doubt it will turn out well. My only real hope would be to hollow out the non jack side to allow enough air space, and put caulk all around the bottom of the whole storage box to make it air tight against the body of the truck. I want to try it, but I think I'm gonna end up with a pair of these http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Subwoofers/Shallow/TS-SW2501S2|S4 instead, the air space they need is tiny, and I shouldn't have to hollow it out. Still won't be air tight, but worth a try. I think I'll have to make a box, and put some sort of slot in for the jack, which kinda sucks. meh. Two 300w 10's should be more than enough bass for a mid sized truck, right? Keep in mind I only wanna vibrate my own innards, and not so much those of people in cars adjacent.

btw, that roll bar kicks ass, is it custom?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.