Dakota Durango Forum banner

What does a PCM control?

5K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  trevor 
#1 ·
Hopefully you guys can help me out.

Long story short, I have "found" a 5.9 r/t pcm from a 99 dakota, to put in my 99 4x4 dakota.

I'd just like to know what im going to be messing with computer wise. So what things are controlled by the pcm, specifically one from a 1999 dakota?

Keyless entry, overhead computer, abs, security, etc.?

#4 ·
Just one from a 5.9 R/T...so not the keyless entry? How do guys add the overhead computer, or does every pcm allow for control for it?

The only thing I would worry about that PCM not doing that yours does is alter the shift points when in 4lo. If you use 4lo, then you might want to reconsider using that PCM, as not having those revised shift points will fry your clutches.

I suggest finding a Durango R/T, as those will have the revised programming for using 4lo.
How does the PCM control the shift points, is my truck not controlled by a cable...opposed to electronically controlled?

#5 ·
Just one from a 5.9 R/T...so not the keyless entry? How do guys add the overhead computer, or does every pcm allow for control for it?

How does the PCM control the shift points, is my truck not controlled by a cable...opposed to electronically controlled?
Search some of my threads i made a how to post for instaslling the computer. As for keyless entry I doubt it. I have heard that stuff is in the CTM

I would be concerned with what josh said previously more though.

#6 ·
Search some of my threads i made a how to post for instaslling the computer. As for keyless entry I doubt it. I have heard that stuff is in the CTM

I would be concerned with what josh said previously more though.
I searched and found this:
Suposedly they say its only if it comes with fogs, power locks, and windows. They say the CTM has to have those options programed. This isnt true, as I have installed one in a 98 with no power anything.
So basically you found that it could be put into a base truck with no problem? My truck has power locks and windows, with no fogs and has the overhead comp.

#3 ·
The only thing I would worry about that PCM not doing that yours does is alter the shift points when in 4lo. If you use 4lo, then you might want to reconsider using that PCM, as not having those revised shift points will fry your clutches.

I suggest finding a Durango R/T, as those will have the revised programming for using 4lo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.