Dakota Durango Forum banner

97-98 Gauge Cluster Lighting

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  muddin2deep 
#1 ·
Im currently having black cat customs make me a custom gauge face for my truck. When illuminated the numbers and letters will be blue so naturally I would like all the number and letters to be blue. My gear selector indicator and mileage odometer are separate from the gauge face unlike newer model dakota's so black cat customs can not help me out with this. Is there a way to change the color of these 2 when lit up? Im assuming the gear selector indicator I can just insert a blue LED behind it but the mileage odometer im not sure about. I dont know if the screen itself lights up or if there is a bulb behind it. I really dont want to take my cluster apart to see until my gauges get here so I just thought I would ask. Here is a picture...

See less See more
#2 ·
Only way is to change the dash bulb colors/bulbs.

#4 ·
My odometer isnt the black/green digital type, its the older greyish type with black numbers. It doesnt light up in the day so if I put a blue film over it I probably wont be able to read what it says. Now, at night when it light up that might work but I want to be able to see it at all times.

#5 ·
If you have bright enough colored bulbs, it will light it the bulp color. There is no way to install a light behind it, it is not back lit. The problem your going to have if you do not use led's is that panel back lit is not the same color anywhere else.

Notice blue led key ring versous blue backlit panel:

There is a loss in any rought you take. Led hot spots. stock colors will not match shifter, colored bulbs will not match leds, and then you got to deal with HAVC, light switch, and door controls.

#6 ·
I ordered the blue LED kit for my cluster from black cat customs with my custom gauge. Im just not sure if it would include the lights for the gear shift indicator and odometer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.