Dakota Durango Forum banner

2001 to 2003 intake manifold swap

16K views 51 replies 12 participants last post by  mthandt 
#1 ·
I recently found a great deal on a 2003 intake manifold and matching TB. Just curious if anyone has gone through with this swap and if they ran into any problems or if they had any suggestions on what to look out for.

#2 ·
I haven't done that exact swap but I've been much further into it with the supercharger/manifold. It really isn't to bad but just will take you a while your first time. I'd plan a good part of a day if your doing it for the first time but realistically it can be done much faster (the first time with anything always seems to take 3 times a long)

The thing that sucks the most is that you are probably going to have to pull the heater lines, this really isn't a big problem but you will end up getting coolant everywhere (and I personally don't like it, especially cause I always have to end up laying in it after spilling it all over the garage lol)

I would drain as much coolant from the radiator as possible but you will still end up having it spill when you pull the heater lines. Not a big deal, just be prepared for it with something to clean it up.

If you aren't afraid to get dirty, you won't have any problems at all. Just some time with a deep 10MM and a few of his friends.

#4 ·
What heater lines will he need to move? I dont recall any heater lines in the way... perhaps its a Dakota thing but I have never heard of it till today.

From what I remember you will need to move the fuel rail with injectors... Just screws each side and then just swing the fuel rail over to the drivers side... I would not even bother disconnecting the fuel line. Then just swap the intake out. And put the fuel rail/injectors back in place. Its only a 20-30min job tops.

I have been known to over simplify things though... But I have had mind off a good 15-20 times and I have also installed a few for customers.

You will absolutely LOVE that 03 intake over your 2001 Intake.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

#5 ·
the dakotas have a heater hoses run just infront of the TB and you may not need to take them off. When I did mine I was able to pull them out of the way, but it bearly clears it. removing them would make it a lot easier. the hardest part about doing the swap is removing all the stuff thats on top of the intake it self. I've done the swap twice now (stock 2002 to a 2003 to a 2008)and I noticed an improvement each time

#7 ·
Ah, well if you don't have to remove the heater lines it would be much less of a pain, I had to remove and reroute mine which was lots of fun.

Depending on how much experience you have it could probably be done in 20-30 minutes. I would still allow a few hours the first time. If you do have to remove the fuel rail, it is just held on by 4 bolts (8MM), then just pull it up.

#10 ·
Well I got the new intake on and a couple things I discovered:

The tubing on the back of my '01 intake was off to the passenger and the '03 is in the middle. Well this distance ends up screwing you on the front side where it comes about an inch short of hooking up. Also the hookup on the back of the intake is different requiring a new coupler.

The sensor on the front of the '03 intake does NOT match up with the wiring from the '01.

#11 ·
Are you talking about the MAP sensor? You should be able to reuse your 01 map sensor on the new intake... this way it will plug up.

PM me with any issues you are having... If anything they SHOULD be minimal and fixable with a quick trip to Autozone. But if your having any issues let me know so we can help you get them worked out.

Or just post them here... there are plenty of people here who have done the swap and can offer you good advice.

Im assuming the "TUBING" is just the PCV hose... And the "Wiring" is the MAP sensor... let us know....

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

#12 · (Edited)
Bear with me - I don't know what all the hookups are :D
Yes I pulled the MAP sensor from my '01 intake and put it on the '03 intake. EDIT: Had to clip off part of the plastic because the MAP sensor and the one below it bumped into each other.

As for the PCV hose, I hope it didn't get pinched in the back. What runs through there?

EDIT: There's a band of 3 plugs near the right of the TB; 2 go into the TB and the other one went into my 2001 intake...well there is no port on the 2003 intake for it. Just leave it or what?

#13 ·
As for the PCV hose, I hope it didn't get pinched in the back. What runs through there??
behind the intake is nothing except the firewall.

EDIT: There's a band of 3 plugs near the right of the TB; 2 go into the TB and the other one went into my 2001 intake...well there is no port on the 2003 intake for it. Just leave it or what?
if its what I'm thinking of, 2 go into the TB and the 3rd should plug into the intake itself behind the TB.

#16 ·
#31 ·
Yes it is unplugged. I assume this would effect performance depending on the placement of it? The wires are very short though...

#33 · (Edited)
the air temp sensor simply goes into the new hole, my 2001 Dakota never had the air intake sensor located in the air hat, just on a cyl runner.
old location

new location (remove the plug that states "do not remove" remove it and put the new one in)

old throttle thing

new throttle thing

Old vacuum (smaller hose)

New vacuum (larger hose)

My solution to the problem I got a larger hose, and slid it over the male end, used a clamp to make sure it doesn't fall off, used an adapter to convert to the smaller/ 90deg elbow to help the line go under the plastic "hook" without kinking, also converted the size too!.

Overall the swap was highly worth it, the old intake was inferior in design to the new one in many aspects (not just runner length) the way they molded the pieces together on the 03+ makes the air flow nicely in a smooth motion, the 01 had sheer drop offs and corners.

I noticed the truck didn't "die off" when going high speed, just keeps pushing 80+ mph, nice smooth acceleration.

Sheer drop off, with a lip

Nice rounded smooth transition

#34 ·
Gahhh why couldn't you have posted this a couple days ago :rant:! These pictures are perfect. I used some clear semi-stiff tube to come off the back of the manifold and I hope it doesn't pinch. What would be some signs that it's blocked off?

I'm curious why they molded that "do not remove" slot into the manifold in the first place.

Thanks for your help.

#35 ·
Glad you like the gain you received from the swap..I have to upgrade my 02 mani. Ever since I sold the 08 mani I had and put back on the 02 I did not realize how much my 02 mani sucks. I know it wont get the same gain as the 08 but anything is better than what I have on now.

#37 ·
No, On the older ones the vacuum (PCV) line comes out the side on the back of it so just one turn for it to make it back to the front. On the 03's the line comes straight out the back. So you need to make another turn with the line to make it back to the front. The line on the TB stays on the Tb for both manifolds.

#39 ·
That's not a cover, it's where someone just cut the hose.

Let me try to explain it again since that was probably kinda confusing, lol. On the 02 and previous manifolds the hose on the back of the manifold that goes to the PCV valve in the oil fill neck comes out the side of the manifold on the back. It come off towards the passenger side. On the 03's the same hose comes out the back, towards the firewall. It is also a different size hose IIRC. So you need to get a new hose and a 90 degree piece to make the extra turn so it can go back towards the front of the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.