Dakota Durango Forum banner

2003 Durango Blower Motor Problem?

10K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Roberta Davault 
#1 ·
I have replaced the blower motor resistor 3 times now on my 2003 Durango and the last time, I noticed the conector was partially melted. I was able to get it apart to replace the resistor but it only worked for about a month. I ordered a new connector which comes with a crap load of wires as a repair kit but no instructions. Anyone have any idea where I might obtain the instructions?

Also, I read on the web that the problem may be a bad blower motor? Anyone ever heard of this?

If I have to replace the blower motor, what kind of cost will I be looking at and is it something I can do myself?

TIA,
Jimmy

#2 ·
the blower motor stopped workin on one of the F150's at work. i started easy, replaced the resistor. still no fan. took the dash apart and found the back of the fan speed switch was melted. ford actually sold a replacement switch insert instead of having to replace the whole HVAC unit, which is handy. when that still didnt fix it i knew it was the motor. ordered a new one and pulled the old one out. the housing was rusty as shit and you could barely spin the shaft with a set of pliers on it. when an electric motor starts to drag or tries to freeze up, it draws more amps to try and overcome the obstruction/resistance. more amps = more power draw = more heat. sooner or later, the wiring/connectors wont be able to support the load being put on the system by the failing motor and will start melting shit.

ive never had my dak's fan motor out, but the F150 at work took about 45 mins to remove from the truck, remove the motor from the plastic housing, replace with new motor, and reinstall in the truck. the motor was a "universal" kind of wiring design, so with the wire colors of the motor (black/orange) matched to the truck (black/red) the fan ran backwards. just took the wiring back out of the connector and reversed them, works fine.

#3 · (Edited)
Your blower fan is drawing too many amps and melting the resistor/plug. Time to replace the fan. Don't replace the connector or resistor again until you replace the blower motor.....
Do a search for "FSM" on this site and you should be able to find the instructions.

If it is the same as an 01 Dak, I think you need to pull the hvac housing out to replace the fan - which is a bitch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.