Dakota Durango Forum banner

29" tall drag radials?

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  ADakotaRTGuy 
#1 ·
Is there a drag radial that fits well under the back end of a Dakota? The stock tires are 29", so I was trying to stay near that. I was thinking of sticking them on 15x7" aluminum base model wheels.

#3 ·
Hoosier says they can run the 28x10x16 slick not drag radial on a 8" wheel. If you run a 15x7 you might not get away with anything bigger then a 9" tire. Check the manufacturers website to see what they recommend.

#4 ·
I was wanting to stay with a narrow tire anyway. The only drag radials I can find that are close in height (for "street tire" racing) are 275/60/15 at about 28" tall. They're not really what I'm looking for. Too wide, too short, and too heavy I think. So I started looking at slicks and found 29.5x9x15 MT's which sound really good size wise - but wouldn't be legal in most of the cheesy street car bracket classes around here.

#6 ·
M&H makes a 275/60-15 drag radial which they say is 28x9.5x15 - should fit just fine. It might sound wide, but you're going to want that traction when you're racing.

I've used Mickey Thompson 26x10.5x15, 26x11.5x15, and 28x10.5x15 on OEM 15x8 wheels - track use only. The only thing I've used on the street was M&H 275/55-16 or 325/45-17 drag radials - they both worked great until I went to the 408/N2O/4.56 combo.

#8 ·
Thanks for the replies.

My truck has 255/65/16s on it which work out to 29.05" tall.

I didn't want the rear tires shorter than the front (reverse rake is bad) and I also didn't want a bigger/heavier tire than I need for traction with a stock truck, like the 275/60 tires. I'm just looking at increasing traction a little for bracket racing and running for fun at street tire events while not wasting my all season tires.

I didn't know M&H made a 275/55/16 tire.

What do you have to do to recalibrate the speedo in these trucks? Can they take care of that at a dealership? Or do I have to buy a programmer? I wouldn't mind dropping a tire size all the way around for my street tires, but I'd like my speedo to be correct.

#9 ·
What do you have to do to recalibrate the speedo in these trucks? Can they take care of that at a dealership? Or do I have to buy a programmer? I wouldn't mind dropping a tire size all the way around for my street tires, but I'd like my speedo to be correct.

superchips will do it as well as the dealership can

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.