Dakota Durango Forum banner

Should I replace just Front Shocks, or do the Rear Shocks, too?

10K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  s7n7a7k7e 
#1 ·
My 01 Durango R/T needs new shocks, so I was thinking about upgrading them at the same time. I'm the kind of person who when I have to replace something on the vehicle that has multiples of it, I just replace them all. For instance, I was planning on replacing all four shocks, but a friend of mine says that I shouldn't bother with replacing the rear shocks, and that I should only replace the fronts. He says that the rear shocks don't really do much at all, and that I wouldn't even notice a difference if I replaced them. He says its the torsion bars that do majority of the work in the rear. Is his statement correct? Or would it still be a good idea to do all four shocks, instead of just the front ones?
:huh:

#2 ·
If you're switching to a performance oriented shock, it would be good to do them all at once, shocks are one of the most important parts of a suspension. If you just do the fronts, you might end up in a situation where your front gets more grip than your rear and it could throw off the balance of the truck.

#6 ·
Thanks for the info everyone. Just got them all done yesterday afternoon. My old ones were shot. Glad I got them all changed. It doesn't even feel like the same vehicle anymore, lol. I got the Rancho RSX9000 adjustable shocks. I have them set on the highest setting at the moment. Almost no body roll anymore, compared to before.

#7 ·
Iv got rancho rs5000's im happy with them but I kik myself every day for not getting the RSX9000's

haw much adjustment do they have? can you go from riding like a caddy to riding a brick?

#8 ·
They have 9 adjustment levels. Level 9 being the stiffest. I figured since they are really easy to adjust. You just turn the knob until it clicks to the setting you want. To be honest, I was expecting the ride to be really harsh on the stiffest setting, but I wanted to try it out before making up my mind on what setting I wanted. I could always reach change the setting by reaching back and turning the knob. I was surprised though. It's not harsh at all. It's definitely very noticeably stiff in the handling and ride, but has just enough cushion to not be "break your ass-bone" stiff. My Durango doesn't nose-dive anymore when I press the brakes, either. It's hard for me to tell how comfortable the ride was originally, because the socks were already near the end of their lives when I got it. But compared to the ride quality it had when I got the Durango, it is a huge improvement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.