Dakota Durango Forum banner

Multifunction Switch Malfunction ??? PLEASE HELP...

10K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Turtleswork 
#1 ·
Ok, I am trying to get my husbands favorite older Durango in great condition before he returns from an Army exercise...so I need some advice. Dodge Durango, 2000.

Here is the issue: All lights work fine on the vehicle, except the turn signals. I read some of other posts about the multifunction switch, but I wanted to get opinions on our truck.

The lights, windshield washers, spray and the bright lights work....but the actual turn signals, left or right don't work. Everything else the switch does works though. I changed the fuses for the turn signal and that did not make a difference. Does this sound like the multifunction switch? Any suggestions on what it might be?

I took it to a Dodge dealership and they said today that it is the multifunction switch and they said the part alone is $300. I looked online and saw no part that was three hundred dollars. I found the whole switch for like $70, so can't I buy it and take it to someone to just put it on. I don't mind paying for labor, but what part could they possibly claim needs to be fixed and the part alone costs 300. We just had work done there last week and I think they are trying to get me. Please let me know what you think.

All opinions welcome. Sorry for sounding "stupid" but when my husband is here he normally handles all car repairs. I just don't want him to return to a car problem. Thanks in advance...

See less See more
G
#2 ·
This is the switch you are looking for http://www.napaonline.com/masterpag...er=DL6344&Description=Headlight+Dimmer+Switch and it's $47.99 at NAPA. Sounds like the Stealership is trying to make a little extra lunch money. I'm not exactly sure what it takes to replace it but any good mechanic should be able to do the job for you.

First off, it may be something as simple as the turn singal flasher needing to be replaced. I'd check that first before you start spending a lot of money on unnecessary parts and labor.

#5 ·
yup as said above make sure its not the flasher first. On a 2000 the flasher is located under the drivers side of the dash on the backside of the fuse panel. It is a little green box that looks like a relay. You can pick up another one from a parts store, just grab an ep-27 flasher off the shelf for about $12-13. Most parts stores stock them with the other flashers in the light bulb and fuse aisles. Dont bother ordering the original flasher as its the same thing and they charge $40+ for it. I dont know whats different about it other than its green still and an ep-27 is black.... other than that their internals seem to be the same too.

#6 ·
Completely lost please help, out of options!!!!!!!!

Good morning all, so I will try to short.

A few weeks ago I was driving home from work and my wipers and washer quit on me. So step one, I checked all fuses and relays ALL were good. Step two I ordered a new wiper motor w/ linkage from the dealer and installed it, STILL nothing working. Step three, ordered the multifunction switch and replaced that, but no of course still nothing working. So I used a test light to check every wire in the wire harness that plugs to the back of the multifunction switch and I found that I have no power the the wiper and washer wires (14-19 on the harness) this was from the Haynes Manuel. I am on my last straw can anyone assist me with this please?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.