Dakota Durango Forum banner

Fan Noise

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Mopar Mike 
#1 ·
Is it just me or does everyone's truck sound like the fan is 10x louder than it should be....hell we i first crank the truck you can barely hear the exaust over the fan turning....it's always done it but is it just mine or is it normal for the 4.7?

#2 ·
my 4.7 was really loud too. I just took off the mechanical fan and now i run the electric fan only. its a lot quieter, plus its a few more hp for free.

#7 ·
In an odd way, it's kind of refreshing to see this thread...I was thinking my loud fan was due to the aftermarket fan clutch I put on instead of a genuine Mopar one. My original clutch was absolutely cannonballed, and I was probably only a couple days away from it leaping off and going thru the radiator! I installed a Hayden clutch from Carquest, and have had the roaring fan on a cold startup ever since. Some times it takes up to a mile or so to finally calm down, but I've been told that it's somewhat normal for a brand new clutch to do this till they break in a little. Time will tell.

Interestingly, my dad's 2000 Dakota never made any fan noise whatsoever. He bought it nearly brand new, and sold it with ~90k on it. Had I known how bad mine was at the time, I'd have swapped fan assemblies before he got rid of it! :banana2:

Some other friends of mine had owned Durangos and Dakotas too, and had mentioned the loud fan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.