Dakota Durango Forum banner

Replacing Door speakers.

25K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  shelbygoat 
#1 ·
What size are the factory door speakers? I would like to replace the door speakers before I put in my sub/amp, Ive only replaced door speakers once. Is it a hard job to take off the door panel? How easy is the installation of the new speakers?

What are you guys usually putting in as far as new door speakers?

#3 ·
i got alpine type R speakers in mine.
i have a friend who had put all alpine in his Xterra (i hate the damn thing but it sounds so good). however, he pulled a stupid one day and left the back windows down...it rained that night. the day after, he went out to go to work and realized that he forgot to roll his windows up, saw all the water in his truck, and realized his speakers got waterlogged and they've never been the same since. those were nice speakers. please don't do something like he did, it would be a shame to hear about another set getting fucked up by water.

#8 ·
Factory door speakers are 6.75" but those are hard to find so your better off getting 6.5"...

I bought 2 pairs of coaxial Polk db651 speakers, currently running them off the factory infinity amp, but they will be ran off a Blaupunkt 720w amp. Its the same set up I had on my old QC.

The nice thing about the Polk db651 speakers are marine rated so if they get wet it wont mess with them. And for the price you pay you can't beat them (max is 180w).

I have a Quad Cab Dak, closest to a durango... haha, not really...

#9 ·
I bought some cheap ass speakers for both my durango and dakota. All the stockers were blown. They were cheap and from wal-mart,. but they all sound pretty good. I bought 6.5s. you just use the spacers that are used with the stock speakers and screw the speakers into the plastic spacers, it is very simple. I did all 8 speakers the same way, and it came out really nice. I think I spent about $160 for all of them. Im cheap, what can I say. and besides they get plenty loud enough.

#12 ·
component speakers have the tweeter separate from the mid bass woofer and use a crossover for each tweeter and woofer. Coaxial are what you are used to when you think of car speakers where the tweeter and woofer are both built into one unit. Both are usually better than factory but you get a lot less distortion and much better sound when the speakers are separated into separate units.

#13 ·
Depending on what kind of factory system you currently have depends on how they are wired. On my Dak it had the Infinity system which front speakers are a component setup and rear speakers are coaxials. I put a pair of coaxials in the back and a pair of coaxials up front, but I left the factory infinity tweeter in its spot still wired in and all. The factory tweeters are set up with a capacitor to block out low frequencies so the dont try and produce the destructive low frequency sound. I might replace the infinity tweeter down the road but right now they are not a big deal and if you have tweeter low down most of the highs will be absorbed by your clothes and interior.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.