Dakota Durango Forum banner

Adding OEM Heated Mirrors

25K views 49 replies 15 participants last post by  mbudden 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 Quad Cab SLT Plus that came with 5x7 power mirrors. I bought used OEM 6x9 power mirrors and noticed that the power connector was identical, even though the 6x9 mirrors are heated. So, I figured that they probably used the same wiring harness whether you had heated mirrors or not. I then purchased a used OEM heater control that had the defrost button below the AC button. The connectors were exactly the same on the back of the heater controls also. My understanding was that this heater control was designed to turn on both the heated mirrors and a rear defroster (which I don't have). I purchased the heater control from used auto parts dealer on ebay, and he said it came out of a 2004 Dodge 1500, but it would also work on a 2003-2004 Dakota. I installed it and pushed the button and the light stays on for about 10 minutes each time I push it, but the mirrors DO NOT heat up. I checked the fuse box located on the side of the dash and there is a 10 Amp fuse labeled "Heated Mirrors", and it seems fine. Is there something else I need to do to get the mirrors to heat up? Could it be that the heater control is not compatible with the Dakota? Do I need to install a relay somewhere?

#2 ·
Power for the heated mirrors goes through the rear window defogger relay so you'll need to get one and install it. It's located in the power distribution center. If you would like the wiring diagram let me know.

-Ryan

#3 ·
I thought it might be a relay but I can't tell where it should go. There is no relay labeled "rear defroster" but there are ones labeled "rear blower" and "rear wiper" and I definitely don't have either. It would be helpful if you could tell me where exactly the relay should go in the power distribution center.

#4 ·
The relay positions described are empty(no crimp-ons or wiring) get four crimp-on relay terminals,(they will click into place into four of the empty slots) some wire(14 guage for the power supply leg, and 18 guage for the switch leg + the wiring diagram you were offered, and follow it. You'll be OK!:drive:

#5 ·
Ok, Silver&Blue4x4 was nice enough to send me the wiring diagrams. Based on what is on the diagrams, It looks like the wiring is in place to the Power Distribution Center (PDC) and all I have to do is put in a relay. The diagrams also point out exactly which fuses are involved and where they are located. Turns out there are 3 fuses in the circuit. Two in the Junction Block (located on the drivers side dashboard), and one in the PDC (located under the hood). The fuses in the Junction Block are #24 (15 Amp) and #15 (10 Amp). The fuse in the PDC is #4 (40 Amp). The only thing the diagrams don't tell me is where the relay goes in the Power Distribution Center, so I'm going to buy one and try some of the empty slots. Here are the diagrams for those who want to try the same thing. I'll keep you posted.:beback:

Attachments

#7 ·
I couldn't add a relay to the Power Distribution Center because none of the contact points to any of the empty relays spots are there. That means that I have to wire up a relay point to get the heated mirrors to work. Anyone know how to do that? I would like to know how difficult it is before I tackle that job.:huh:

#10 ·
I just purchased a PDC from a 2003 Durango on Ebay for $21 including shipping. I plan on taking the terminals out of that one,to put in my current one, if I can figure out which relay slot is the right one. I have about 6 empty relay slots. Is there anyone out there that knows the relay slot for the heated mirrors/rear defogger?:huh:

#12 ·
best I can do for you guys is take a picture of the fuse boxes, as I have them in my '01 Durango

#16 ·
Good luck on the project...save or note all the info and do a write up for us...

Also, did not know pick-ups could be had with rear window defrost...

Also, can standard large/towing mirrors be converted to heated with the right parts or does the mirror have to be heated from the get-go?

#17 ·
I will write up a tutorial when I'm done. Technically, you could take a mirror without heat and add some heat tape to the back and wire it up, but it will never function as well as one that comes with it. You may also run the risk of melting the plastic backing on the mirror which will cause the mirror to break. They don't use heat resistant plastic on the mirrors unless they are heated from the factory. So I wouldn't recommend that route.

#18 ·
pic coming in 4 minutes im just running outside to take it.

Done! this is from a fully loaded durango btw

Reactions: Little Blue Guy
#19 ·
Thanx Mystake, for the pic. I owe you a beer! There are only 2 relay positions that I don't already have, so it has to be one of them. The PDC looks exactly the same as mine also. I sure could use a pic of a PDC from a Dakota with heated mirrors just to confirm. Anyone?....Anyone?

#21 ·
Thanx Mystake, for the pic. I owe you a beer! There are only 2 relay positions that I don't already have, so it has to be one of them. The PDC looks exactly the same as mine also. I sure could use a pic of a PDC from a Dakota with heated mirrors just to confirm. Anyone?....Anyone?

Fax it to me!
:D

Glad it helped dude! Let me know if it worked!

#20 ·
Holy Crap! I'm a complete idiot! After looking closely at the picture that Mystake posted, I realized that there was a relay, located at the very top of the picture, that I don't have in my PDC. All the other relays are located at the other end of the PDC, so I guess I just never noticed it. It's one of the bigger square relays, not the smaller rectangular relays. It is labeled "EBL Relay". I decided to do a google search to find out what an EBL relay is, and guess what I found?

"EBL stands for Electric Back Light (rear window defogger)"

And I have the terminals for this relay already! I immediately went to the auto parts store and purchased the relay and installed it. I'm not 100% sure yet (because it was actually warm out today), but I think the heated mirrors are working! I'll let everyone know for sure tomorrow after I've had more time to test it.:funny:

#22 · (Edited)
Old thread I know. But I want to get the bigger towing mirrors that are heated. Is the relay, and the climate control panel with a heated mirror button all thats needed? I noticed a blue (i think) plug on the door when I was installing my new speakers and that got me wondering if its already wired up for heated mirrors only without the button and a relay/fuse.

#23 ·
Installing Heated Mirrors

The power heated mirrors use the same connector as the power mirrors without heat. You need to install a relay in the fuse box under the hood, in the spot labeled "EBL Relay"(which is the closest one to the motor). Then you have to install the heater control that has the defrost button on it. This also uses the same connector as the one without the defrost button. Everything appears to be in place to get this to work but it didn't for me. I did however notice that the contact points for the relay were all rusty and corroded. I was going to clean them off and try again but I ran into another problem with the truck (rear bearings) and ended up trading it in before I got the chance. It should work. Good Luck. :drive:

#24 ·
Old thread, new owner

Has anyone successfully done this modification? I took my door panel off the other day and i saw a plug up towards the mirror it has two wires going to it, would be this be a heated mirror plug or is that all wrapped up in the main mirror connector?

I bought the mirrors mostly for the additional 19 square inches of mirror surface, but if i could get the heated mirrors working, that would be great

Side question: anyone ever install a rear window defogger successfully too? Thought i might look into it since i am going to be messing with it anyway.

#26 ·
Thanks to no one's help on here, i did infact get them working. All i did was replace the mirrors with the heated 6x9s and the heater/ac control unit and i added a relay to the EBL spot. When i first put power to it, the defroster light blinked for 20 seconds, i don't know if it was testing the computer or what. But it stopped blinking and i pushed the button and i waited a few minutes and i could tell both mirrors were getting pretty warm.

#28 ·
Thanks to no one's help on here, i did infact get them working. All i did was replace the mirrors with the heated 6x9s and the heater/ac control unit and i added a relay to the EBL spot. When i first put power to it, the defroster light blinked for 20 seconds, i don't know if it was testing the computer or what. But it stopped blinking and i pushed the button and i waited a few minutes and i could tell both mirrors were getting pretty warm.

I'm sure you figured where to add the relay all on your own without the help of anyone in this thread.

#27 ·
You will have to go to the dealer or a junkyard to get the rear defroster on the window. There is a way to do it yourself but IDK where you can find the electroconducting paint in large enough quantities to do this plus the connections for both sides. :huh:

#29 ·
Check this out..

http://www.frostfighter.com/prt2600.htm

Complete DIY defroster grid kit. Only thing is, I don't know how you would install it on the slider window. The outer sides would be easy, the slider would be a nightmare.

#33 ·
Yay for it being a never ending thing. Got in the truck today drove to work and turned on the mirror defrosters and they didn't work. any ideas?

#40 ·
Having just had mine apart today I can confirm they do come apart as mentioned and are similar to the pic above but with more locking tabs.
I tipped the mirror to the inside and carefully wedged a flat screwdriver and twisted to pop the locking tabs.

My truck has two burned out elements so neither of them work:(

#42 ·
Can you buy the heated elements separately from the mirror? And how much savings is it over a salvaged mirror at around 75 bucks?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.