Dakota Durango Forum banner

No reverse lights

25K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  NoStopN 
#1 ·
01 cc 4X4 4.7
No reverse lights. Changed bulbs and fuse. What else might it be?

#5 ·
i got the same prob with my 98 5.9L if you find anything let me know. i gave up looking, lol.

#11 ·
The park/neutral/safety switch controls the reverse lights. On the 5.2/5/9 it's external right above the trans pan. You need a 1" deep socket to get on it. Mine went out a couple years ago. On the 4.7, it in internal to the trans and you have to drop the pan.

#13 ·
New Safety Switch, still no backups

I checked my fuses, replaced the bulbs, and the Neutral Safety Switch was replaced last summer. Still nothing. Is there a possible wiring issue or should I just try and get a new switch, as they can be bad at the point of purchase? Mine is a 1990 3.9l v6 SE btw

#14 ·
If you replaced the switch within the last year, it may have a warranty. As for fuses, I hope you have a repair or shop manual to tell you which fuses have what circuits on them. You may check the one fuse labeled as "B/U lamps", but another fuse could also be shared with the circuit. My Saturn just came out of the shop with the radio not working. I checked it's radio fuse & it was fine. But, I also lost the door chime. I checked the fuse for that & it was blown. Replaced it, & both started working again. If those "free" options don't work, you may have to trace the wires all through the truck to make sure one isn't cut/burned/worn through.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.