Dakota Durango Forum banner

cam sensor?

5K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Boomin5POINT9 
#1 ·
hey i have a 98 dakota 3.9L V6 and i need to change the cam sensor. i know that this is my problem but i dont know where the cam sensor is on my truck. im not very mechanically inclined when it comes to this stuff, but i am a do-it-yourself kind of guy... so any help with this woudl be great

#2 ·
I think on our trucks it's part of or under the distributor??

#5 ·
I'm wonderin if I should do this while I've got everything apart. My distributor isn't even visible when the SC is all on. I changed the cap and rotor a few years ago, but have never touched the cam sensor.

#6 ·
you dont need to. take it out and look at it. it is a magnent so it may have some metal shavings on it. if it does check for other issues around the dist. otherwise just clean it off with a cloth and re install. i had a bad dist where the connecting pin was walking out and cutting my cam sensor. unless you are throwing a code for it i wouldn't worry about replacing it

#8 ·
Well considering I only drive the truck on nice days and only in the summer it really isn't that long ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.