Dakota Durango Forum banner

IAC Valve Replaced = Perfect Idle

35K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  Dangoman 
#1 ·
Had a rough idle on my '02 4.7L, along with jumping RPMs upon startup. I went to autozone and picked up a new IAC Valve for around $60.

Took off the CAI and Throttle Body (fairly dirty) and cleaned it all up with some cleaner. BBK looks new again ;)

Installed new Idle Air Control Valve onto the side of the TB, and I cannot believe that my idle is similar to the first day she came home!

G
#2 ·
Excellent! This is why I make it a point to remove and clean my TB at least once a year, especially the IAC port and the tip of the IAC sensor. It only takes about 30 minutes and can save you big $$$ on new sensors and also helps with mpg and performance.

Good job! :mullet:

G
#8 ·
There's a lot more that gets gummed up on the IAC sensor than just the tip. If you've ever looked down inside a dirty IAC sensor past the tip, you know what I mean. For the $60 a new sensor would cost, you can buy a lot of cans of spray carb cleaner.

#11 ·
I never said I would purchase a new IAC sensor every year, but rather meant keeping the TB clean.

Once I did pull the sensor, it was evident that 120,000 miles certainly had its impact on the IAC valve. Not only was it black, the head of the sensor wouldn't pull in and out very easily. (Re-ensuring that my idle was jumpy due to the shot sensor)

The port that the sensor is inserted into the TB was dirty and took quite a few shots of cleaner to eliminate.

Needless to say, keeping your TB and IAC Valve clean is a sure fire way to keep your idle where it should be.

It now jumps to 1200 on ignition, and settles back down to about 600RPMs at idle. Its smooth as butter and for about $65 (TB cleaner and IAC Valve) the truck doesn't have idle issues any longer.

#12 ·
I read your post as you were going to replace it, my bad. Obviously, keeping it clean isn't a bad idea.

I've never tried moving my IAC valve by hand, but it seems pretty stiff. Even the new one I installed a couple years ago. All you need to clean is the plunger end of it, that's what does the work. I fail to see any logic in how cleaning the sensor will make it last longer, none of the electronics are exposed to carbon buildup and you're a fool if you spray carb cleaner into the electronics anyway.

This is a pointless argument anyway as neither of us have proof to our argument. I'm just failing to see any logic in your side of it.

#13 ·
I understand your side Caulk, but I never said I sprayed the cleaner into any of the electronics; I only cleaned the TB which is a no brainer, with the electronics removed of course.

I also disagree that buildup doesn't occur on the IAC valve (if that's what you mean when talking to fabtechdrango), as it is plugged into the Throttle Body, with passage to the TB and Intake Manifold.

I don't see any negative points when it comes to keeping both clean, I know I just benefited from the little amount of work that was done and that's what matters to me.

To each their own ;)

#14 ·
I also disagree that buildup doesn't occur on the IAC valve (if that's what you mean when talking to fabtechdrango), as it is plugged into the Throttle Body, with passage to the TB and Intake Manifold...I don't see any negative points when it comes to keeping both clean...
I was only disagreeing with Dwight. There is buildup on the IAC, obviously. Only on the very end of it though, just the plunger tip that acts as the valve. Not back where the actual workings are.

There are no negatives to keeping it clean, whatsoever. I'm just saying there is no evidence to prove the actual part will last longer if kept clean.

G
#25 ·
That's exactly what I'm talking about. That black, gummy crap builds up on the plunger and causes it to stick. Eventually you will need to replace the sensor if not cleaned regularly. Cleaning it is a good way to save $$$.

G
#28 ·
Everyone has their preference. Let that settle the argument, because the whole point was to help others with idling issues.

So far it has and I think that the converstation is done with. Grab a beer and enjoy it.
I'm done arguing about this deal cause everybody knows the THE GREAT CAULKO4 IS NEVER WRONG!!! At least he don't have the balls to admit it even when he's proven WRONG!!! :bye:

#31 ·
Along with the debate, I learned A LOT on this post. My 99 3.9L Dakota has a slightly idle and I wonder if this is it? I spoke to the previous owner ( co-worker and he bought it new) and he never changed/cleaned it. With 125K miles, I'm sure it looks BAD. Might replace it and pull off the TB to clean.
Any tips on the TB cleaning ? :banana2:

#35 ·
So I’m sitting here with my O2 Durango 4. seven which I loveThat I was having an issue mine stalled on me sitting at a stop light replaced my icy because that’s what everybody said to do now the vehicle start and I don’t fairly OK but when I tap the gas it dies what’s going on with my truck please

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.