Dakota Durango Forum banner

Whats the deal with freeze plugs on the 5.9 liter?

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Five9Dak 
#1 ·
My neighbor just had to replace two FP and now the remainder have started leaking. Do these things just crater with no advance warning? Are owners who regularly change coolant also having this prob?

#3 ·
I've owned a '99 and now a 2000 R/T and never had a problem with freeze plugs. My dad had a '95 Ram with the 5.9L and didn't have any problems either. I did have a '93 S-10 with the 2.8L V-6 that I had to replace a freeze plug on though. And yes, usually when they go bad, there is no warning other than you start losing coolant. If you keep track of your fluids, then you will notice a loss of coolant and maybe try to figure out where it's going before it leaves you stranded.

#5 ·
There have been a few people on several forums that have had to replace a freeze plug or two but I would not say it was a very common. Apparently they are not that hard to do (provided you can get a straight shot to tap the new one on)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.