Dakota Durango Forum banner

valve roller rockers keep falling off

40K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  jim h 
#1 ·
Okay, let me start by saying that I just finished paying over $1400 to get remaned heads/ valve assembly because 2 of my rocker arm's/ rollers fell off some how. anyways, now that I have brand new heads, it did it agian. Is there something else that could be causing the rollers to fall off like that. the work is under warranty, so im gonna bring it back to the shop but what could possibly be causing this truck to do this with all the top end being new? Has anyone had any similar problems? Its a 2001 durango slt4x4 4.7 btw.

#2 ·
hectorR2006,

Funny you mention this. My 4.7 Durango is in the shop because of a loss of compression to the no.5 cylinder and one of the possibilities is that maybe the rocker may have fell off too!!! He believes my valve is either stuck in the open position due to carbon or maybe the rockers. I too am puzzled about the possibility. So far he says I have no head gasket issue so for that I'm sorry you had your redone for such a large price.

rimfire,22

#3 ·
You said you have reman heads, did they rebuild/resurface your old heads? Dodge does not recommend resurfacing the heads on these motors and I have seen some shops do it and the end result is cam followers that keep popping out of place. I have had luck on one motor with installing new lash ajusters but the other 3 that came to me from another shop we were not able to fix until new heads from Dodge were installed.

Just a question but has this motor been severly overheated that you know of at some point of it's life??

Forgot to mention that low oil pressure can cause this issue also. Was the top end of the motor sludged up when they pulled it apart?

#4 ·
The engine has not overheated (not since I owned it) but when the shop did show me my engine it did have tons of slude on the top. The oil pressure was always high before the rebuild but now that you mention it, the oil pressure guage wasnt steady like it used to be. when i would turn it on after the rebuild, it would start off on high then make its way towards the middle then eventualy towards the lower "safeline". If i accelerated it, it would go back to high. So from what you stated, do you think the engine is no-good.

#5 ·
You may have a lifter/lash adjuster that has went bad. If it doesn't stay pumped up it could allow for the cam follower to pop out.

#10 ·
I have heard that in some cases where the seats have been replaced that if not instlled properly the seats themselfs could come lose. When this happens they can prevent the valve from closing all the way... this leads to slack in the valvetrain as the cam lobe comes around to BDC, the follower is no longer riding the cam... and can just fall off...

Oil pressure and bad lash adjusters can also lead to this problem.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

#16 ·
Hello All!

I have the same issue that looks just like these pictures....

I would like to get any opinion on whether we would be able to clean this smiley face up and polish the rough edges on our piston....and put on a new head...and go...

All timing gear was replaced 8,000 miles back when a head gasket let go.....

Thanks for any help!

#18 ·
i had the same problem on my 03 dodge ram 4.7 after the third time i was tired of it teed off if you know what i mean so i designed a rocker lock they will be for sale soon. i'm setting up a website now but i'm kinda slow at that but you can check it out at rockerlocks.com if you want not much info there yet but keep watching it will finished soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.