Dakota Durango Forum banner

99 Durango will not stay running.

38K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Horseman 
#1 ·
Hey all. I have a 99 Durango 5.2 with 131xxx miles. Anyways I just tried to start it up today, turns over, and shuts off. it can stay running when I give it gas, it just won't stay running. I figure its something in the fuel delivery area, and my dad thinks its the fuel filter. I'll agree with him as he knows more about cars than I do. Anyways, all help is appreciated. Always had good success with this site, and am hoping for more. Thanks.

#2 ·
try the throttle postition sensor, also the fuel system would be plausable, but it wouldnt give fuel pressure then cut it off. Could be the fuel filter....has it been changed since yo got the truck

#3 ·
If it runs when you give it gas, but not without - I'd start by cleaning (or likely replacing) the AIC.

On my 3.9, it did exactly the same. Turned over, started, died. Repeat. But, if I gave it ever so slightly a bit of gas, it would run fine.

~$35 later from AutoZone, I had a new AIC; and no more issues.

#4 ·
@Big_Texxan - For the 4 years, and almost 50k I have put it on it, no, the filter has not been changed.
@emjohn4 - Do you mean the IAC? I can check that, but the TPS, well, going off my Haynes book, I don't have a voltage reader to check that. I will try that IAC, then report back with what happens. If you would like a video to give a better idea of what it is doing, I can do that also.

#8 ·
My 99 Dakota 5.2 was doing the same exact thing earlier tonight. I would start in and hold the throttle at about 1000 rpm's putting it up to 3000 every now and then. It was sounding like I wasn't getting any sound out of the exhaust either. I did that for about 30 minutes and right when I was about to give up, I let my foot off the gas and my exhaust sound went back to normal and it stay running. I let it run a while and I haven't tried starting it again, but I'm hoping it was just something to do with the sudden cold weather and the fact that I hadn't started it for about 3 days. hope this helps.

#10 ·
Glad you got it figured out. I don't know if durangos from that period were different, but dakota's didn't have a replaceable fuel filter. Just the sock filter in the tank. So for future reference of other people finding this thread just remember that.

Normal causes for starting and running while giving it some throttle are a dirty IAC like in this case and sometimes just a loose battery terminal or ground cable (has enough power to crank over but not a stable enough voltage for the PCM to stay "happy."

#14 ·
I assume that's stuff you've replaced as a result of other issues, right?

Have you pulled codes? The self-diagnosis key trick won't work on a 99 so you have to use an actual code reader. Is the CEL on?

At first sniff I'd say it's the camshaft position sensor. That's the plate under the distributor cap with a 3 pin connector. They have been a source of random-stall-no-restart problems on Dodges since the 80's. Unfortunately it is usually not a problem that throws a code either.. But if it does it will be a P0340 and/or P0341.

If you don't know the history of the vehicle, assume it has never been replaced and replace it anyway.

#15 ·
Well out harmonic balancer was busted which is why that was replaced while replacing that we seen pump was bad so replaced that than once that was done battery died for umpteenth time so replaced that. Than while my dad looked it over he said coil was bad so he fixed that. Than or cat was making noises coming from relays so we replaced fuel line relay or something with fuel. Than the vacuum hose cap was cracked almost in half barely on so we replaced that too. Than I was reading over alot of forums with same problem who said same problem after spending thousands was just iac so we did that next. Before it started stalling dien it wouldn't get up&go when pushing gas pedal. After about week started dien. Than under the car makes some wierd noise. I have a few recordings one video of what's happening n but no clue how to post it on here lol.

#17 ·
Help me please

I have a 98 durango 5.9 and about a week ago she start spitting on me and wouldn't let me get over 1700 rpms. I went to oriellys and had it check and they said I had misfires and a long list of why she s puttering. I switched the spark plug wires and she ran good for a day. But slowly started to do the same thing.(putter not let me over 1700 rpms). Then she barely started yesterday morning and I had to give her a lot of gas just to get her started. Then by the after noon she would start and then shut off by the time I put it in drive. Then she won't even turn over. Now she won't even turn over. Please help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.