Dakota Durango Forum banner

Catalytic Converter Replacement

13K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  razman131 
#1 ·
I was researching how much it would cost to have my catalytic converter replaced. The dealership wanted somewhere near $800 to replace it. But, a local muffler place said they could do it for about $100 with a "generic" converter (that being one that could work in a lot of autos). The Dealership said that they don't recommend using the "generic" converters as the Durango needs a certain converter else the computer will spit out error codes.

Is she full of it?

Mahalo!

#4 ·
So, I'd be able to put on the DynoMax Super Converters, or something from Meineke, or something else? What would you guys recommend? I don't want anything louder, but better performance and fuel economy would be AWESOME!

Mahalo!

#5 ·
en_shua said:
So, I'd be able to put on the DynoMax Super Converters, or something from Meineke, or something else? What would you guys recommend? I don't want anything louder, but better performance and fuel economy would be AWESOME!

Mahalo!

en_shua,

If your gonna spend some bucke then see if you can get a free'er flowing converter? That way your MPG might increase.

rimfire,22

#7 ·
Actually that dealer is about average...... today at the chevy dealer i work at i priced out a converter for a G van for 1000...... dealers cannot just hack the old one off and weld a new one up they have to replace that part of the exhaust system, (Most cases the whole Y pipe).....so if you want oem dependability you have to pay the bucks......but id gowith a straight pipe or an aftermarket high flow converter :biggthump

#9 ·
Car sound or Magnaflow cats are great... most cats these days are the *high flow* or perf cats... your ECM dont care what cat is there...you gots 4 O2`s and the last two are for cat efficiency...

other words gut or hack the cat, zip tie the last one to the frame and be done with it... if ya got a 00 and newer this wont work to well. they chaged the ECM a bit to have random pulses to the O2`s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.