Dakota Durango Forum banner

HELP 4.7 ticka ticka

13K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  bakerlaw67 
#1 ·
Hiya Gang!

Ok heres the deal. 2001 Dakota Sport CC 4x4, 4.7L engine...top was rebuilt by the stealership under the previous owner. Ever since it was released from the local *clueless* 5 Star, it has had a bad tapping/knocking/pinging (and whatever other description you would like) in the engine bay. I can't pinpoint exactly where within the engine its comming from. While standing next to the truck with the hood up, it sounds like the intake on the passenger side.

Now I have read a zillion posts on this and I know it seems to be a somewhat common thing with these engines. With this in mind, I have read possible causes being:

1. Possible collapsed Lash adjuster.
2. Valve leaking down while sitting for a while.
3. The infamous "Belly Pan Gasket." :cussing:
4. Noisey-clogged Injectors
5. Ignition Coils.
6. Loose or improperly adjusted "Rockers."
7. Exhaust Leak.
8. Flex bolts backing out????? (yeah read a post that said it was the cause)
9. Timing Chain.

With all these various possibilities, I am attempting to isolate the culprit. When I first bought the truck, this thing rattled like a Diesel. Since then, first thing I did was an oil change. It seemed to make no difference.

Symptoms: Cold start in the Morning....tap tap tap tap tap....I let the engine warm up at least 2 minutes, carefully watching the oil pressure gauge and keeping an eye on the tach. Now, after the idle returns to normal idle rpm's, the presure will very gradually back off from the high end of the gauge to the low end of the "normal" range. (01 doesnt have numbered gauges) The tap,knock,ping,thudding...stays in step with the motor. After engine is at operating temp, it's still there just not quite as loud. I have done the following steps to try an eliminate this:

A. Changed Plugs
B. Changed Air Filter
C. Cleaned Throttle Body, I.A.C., etc...
D. Ran an engine flush and changed the oil again.
E. Ran Seafoam in Crankcase *1/4 bottle*, Gas Tank *1/4 bottle* and ran some through the Throtte Body into the intake *used half bottle* as described on the can (didnt use the vaccum hose on the brakebooster...let it go in directly through the butterfly plate on the TB.)

I looked through the TB as so many have said to do with a flashlight. No oil pooling, in fact it was clean as a whistle. (did this before using the Seafoam gimmick, and before i cleaned the TB the first time)

This thing is driving me NUTS!!! I'm concerned because I love this truck...and I am worried that one day its gunna go BOOM and launch a piston into low orbit. Can you guys help out an old retired military fart and maybe give me some diagnostic "steps" to locate and tackle this issue?

I dont have a stethescope, and I have done the "stick your finger on the injectors" trick. The Injectors are probably the quietest parts on that engine.

P.S. No codes: "done the key on/off thing too"

Any and all "Constructive Advice" please!!!

Many thanks.....Bo-Dak

See less See more
#2 ·
I have heard the valve lash bleeds down and can cause a tapping sound on start up. have heard this has been a prob on the 4.7. people replace them and no more tapping sound. so maybe that. know its not a cheap fix but the most common thing out there.

#4 ·
alrighty, well here we go. I got a 5.9L, so it's an OHV, not a SOHC, but I'll offer this anyways. I had some trouble w/ my 1.7 Roller Rockers (yeah, they're different from yours, but hear this out..). Installed the rockers, worked great...two weeks later, tap tap tap (they're suppose to be "noisy" rockers anyways, so I wasn't too worried). Anyways, readjusted the valve last and tightened down the rockers again, clean sounding, no noise. Two weeks later...yup..tap tap tap. So once more...I readjusted them, really tightened the bitches down this time. Low and behold two weeks later...tap tap tap. So basically now I'm just tired of buying new valve cover gaskets (they're not reusable...). I've lived with it for over 1000 miles and it's running great, always has, just been a little noisy. So I blame it on the fact that they're suppose to be "noisy" rockers.

Anyways, I said all that to say...my rockers get a little more quiet when the engine warms up as well. But like I said, you have a SOHC. But my advice, since you don't have "noisy" rockers, is to readjust your rockers, it's easy to screw them up, especially if some guy at the stealership was being rushed. Anyways, I vote to start w/ that and see where it takes you. But good luck, hope you get it figured out

#5 ·
Hi guys...

Thanks for the info and advice! I have been thinking about tearing into the valve area for a while now. Valave lash on these beasties can be a bear. But, I figure when I get the proper tools and some time to tinker...thats what i'll be doing next.

Thanks Bunches and I'll keep you all posted!

Bo-Dak

#8 ·
My tapping sound ended up being the #8 piston trying to come theough the block. The rings stuck and the piston got this horrnedous slapping. I ended up having to rebuild the whole motor
Rob

#9 ·
Rob454: OUCH! How long did it take you to figure out where the taping was comming frome? I ask cause mine seems to be all over the engine at one point or another.

#10 ·
Rob454 said:
My tapping sound ended up being the #8 piston trying to come theough the block. The rings stuck and the piston got this horrnedous slapping. I ended up having to rebuild the whole motor
Rob
How did you find out it was the #8 piston?

#11 ·
Basically I had the same thing. jsut a ticking at first then later went to a knock. I was lisening with a mechanics stethoscope and the sound seemed to be coming from everywhere. That was until I got under the truck and started to lisen to the oil pan and where the tranny and motor meet and the sides of the block and thats where it was the loudest. I ended up going to a shop and had the guy pull the motor and tear it down. When he tore it down I went and looked at it and the piston was shaved on one side and the cylinder wall was scratched up. I ended up having to go .020 thou over and I had a hell of a time finding pistons. i ended up with some keith Black pistons cause that was all there was available. Cost was 350$ for the pistons alone. the whole motor rebuild was 3200$ which was a steal considering everyone wanted 4500 for the short block and the dealer ( who was smokin crack and shooting heroin) quoted me 8000$ to which i laughed and laughed and laughed. It was a slight knock more like a ticking at first so i didnt pay too much attention to it cause when it was under warranty i took it in and of course the dealer couldnt duplicate it or it was normal. well the ticking got louder and louder and louder. it took about 5 years to the point where when the motor was cold the thing sounded liek a freaking diesel. I jsut got tired of the noise thats why I fixed it. I was actively looking for a 4.7 but at the time nobody had one for sale at a decent price. i would of much rather have a 360 but when I got the truck the 360 wasnt available in the 4x4 for some reason
Rob

#12 ·
ROB454: Thanks for the info!! :biggthump Im sorry it seems you went through a load of crap but at least you got your Dak taken care of. Im finding more and more that I will endevor to stay away from the stealerships as it seems (so far) that my Dogs have more mechanical knowledge of these trucks than there mechanics do.

Humm, now ya got me thinking....could I be having a simular problem? This engine was rebuilt oh...3 months ago by the local 5 Star and its been doing this ever since the Original owner got it back. The original owner took it back to Dodge and got the standard "Oh thats normal and it will go away" speech.

I think what I'll do is go and find me a good mechanics stethascope and crawl around the engine and see what I can find.

#13 ·
There is no WAY that is normal. There is some ticking from the valvetrain You can also use a piece of hose for a stethoscope
Rob

#15 ·
nhbdaddy said:
Rob-

Was yours a constant tick, or would it go away after the motor warmed up? I have the tick on cold start up, but its gone after 5 minutes or so.
It was a constant ticking that went up with the RPM. if I hit the gas the ticking got faster ( in the begining) but it wasnt any louder but later it got faster and louder.
Rob

#16 ·
nhbdaddy said:
Rob-

Was yours a constant tick, or would it go away after the motor warmed up? I have the tick on cold start up, but its gone after 5 minutes or so.
I have that problem myself with my Darango 4.7. I'll have a slight tick on a cold start, and it'll go away after a few minutes. But it'll only happend every once and a while, and not every time on a cold start up. Not sure what it is.

#17 ·
Mine has it too. Been there since I bought it, and hasn't gotten any better or any worse with various things (Auto-RX cleaning, different brands of oil, filters, etc.) that I've tried on it.

I've heard from a few people "in the know" on these engines that it's a little light piston slap and it's nothing to lose sleep over. The wrist pin to piston fit is too tight when the pistons are cold, and once the engine is started and the pins start to float in the pistons more, the noise goes away. Makes sense, but I too haven't been able to pinpoint it.

#19 ·
The ticking at the cold startup is most likely coming from the exhaust manifold. The bolts are most likely broken off and when the truck warms up the metal expands and makes a seal to the engine.
My dad has this problem on his f240 460 we haven’t gotten around to it since we have to take the fender off, take the manifold off and tap the remains of the bolts out, pain in the ass.
Ohh lookie what I found here! This guy had the same prob on the 4.7 http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23500

#20 ·
You're prolly right Nick02...Same problem, 4.7 ticking on cold startup, went to a local muffler shop, dude took about 2.4 seconds with a flashlight to show me a busted manifold bolt, said it was pretty common. Just suckin it up till i can afford headers now

#21 ·
I had the ticka ticka ever so slightly. I just changed my oil for the winter and I used some Pennzoil Platinum. I used 2.5 quarts of 10w-30 and 4 quarts of 5w-20. My engine is now running smoothly with NO MORE noises! It spools up quicker also. Maybe try that oil change. I did the 5w-20 because i have a horde of oil in my garage and I need to use some of it. I use thinner oil in the winter for better startups. When the weather get's warm again (spring) I am going to switch/reverse the amount above. My truck loves the Pennzoil Platinum.
:drive:
Oh, I have an Amsoil oversized filter. That is the reason for the 6.5 quarts.

Hasta!

#22 ·
Oh, also to try to stop it you may want to try to switch your oil filter to a different brand and try a different oil. I use only synthetic. I used to use M1 synth but I got more engine noise from it. I switched to Supertech synth and then Pennzoil Platinum. My noises went away.
:beer:

#23 ·
thunderchild said:
Oh, also to try to stop it you may want to try to switch your oil filter to a different brand and try a different oil. I use only synthetic. I used to use M1 synth but I got more engine noise from it. I switched to Supertech synth and then Pennzoil Platinum. My noises went away.
I've tried various brands/formulations of oil, as well as different filters (none of which were orange, BTW) and none have made the light tick I have change whatsoever. This also would be indicative of piston slap since oil would have little effect on the piston skirts on a cold startup.

Right now I'm running a Baldwin B-34 (stock size) with Schaeffer Supreme 7000 5w30. I've heard a lot of great things about Pennzoil Platinum on BITOG, but it looks to be nothing more than a really good Group III oil, a' la Castrol Syntec.

Wouldn't you think I'd be going a step backwards going from Schaeffer's to Pennzoil Platinum?

#24 · (Edited)
Well, I have heard some good things about Schaffer Oil. I have not tried it myself but I do use PP. It works great in my 4.7. I don't have any ticka noises. I am trying to use up my supply of Supertech Syn. Oh yes, Wallyworld oil. I just changed my oil and decided to use this up before I use anymore of my PP. It works good also. Once it is gone, I will be using PP exclusively. I have already started my hoarding. There is nothing wrong with G III oil. Works well for me. I do use Amsoil oil filters though. I use the oversized ones for my D. SDF-15. I have a large supply of these that I had left over from my first D. I tried the SDF-26 filter once. It was HUGE!! And to expensive for my tastes, that is why I use the 15's.

#25 ·
Just a lil FYI from someone that works at a Dodge dealership.

Most of your guys ticking issues with the 4.7's is most likely a cracked exh manifold. This is becoming a very common issue with them as they age a little more. Its common enough that I stock all the parts to do the job! :)

Danno

#26 ·
I can almost guarantee mine's not a cracked manifold, but it's either piston slap or the lash adjusters bleeding down. I'm leaning towards piston slap. I know what these engines sound like with cracked manifolds, and the sound mine has is nothing like that. It's more of a metallic clicka, clicka for about 15-30 seconds on a cold or lukewarm startup, and goes away completely after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.