Dakota Durango Forum banner

Marker/Turn signal/Headlight

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Fluffy 
#1 ·
This Question may have been answered already, but i'm to lazy to look for it. I am looking for any information on how to remove/replace the headlight/turn signal/marker assembly for a 2001 Durango. Also, would a Haynes manual be a wise purchase? Thanks.....

#2 ·
There's a torx screw on the top corner of the signal, just under the head light. Remove that and pull the turnsignal out. Unplug the bulbs, take it out fully. There's 3 bolts holding the headlight housing on, take those out and pull out and unplug the headlamp.

The Haynes manual is a good thing to have if you do your own work. Come in handy.

#4 ·
You can get it from the outside, it's a T10, just look in the corner of the light, on top. It's inbetween the sidemarker and the headlight, above the turn signal.

#5 ·
Marker/Signal/Headlight

To put the new ones in, do I have to remove the headlight and put the signal and marker in first? Here's the deal, my daughter crunched the signal and marker and I noticed that the headlight seems loose. On the non-damaged side everthing is tight. Do you think I will have to replace brackets also?

#6 ·
The headlamp housing is just thick plastic. It's possible she could've bumped it good enough to have it break from the bolts on it. The signal/marker is replaceable without touching the headlight. Just that one screw, pull out a bit and remove the 3 lights on it... and it's out.

Once you have the signal out, you can see the 3 bolts for the headlamp housing and you will be able to tell if they're broken or not. If so, you'd have to replace that whole assembly.

#8 ·
It's real easy, as much as I've done with my lights in the past 2 months I've had them on and off over 50 times. I should be able to do it in my sleep now. :funny:

Good luck.

#9 ·
If you are replacing the whole thing you don't need to bother with the torx screw. I usually take the bumper off (4 quick and easy bolts) and everything is in plain view with plenty of room to work comfortably. 3 bolts for each housing, pop out the bulbs and put them in the new housing, install, drink beer. Shouldn't take but 10 minutes all said and done this way. Remember to torque the bumper bolts back to 70 ft/lbs though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.