Dakota Durango Forum banner

Replacing Headlight Bulb?

23K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Rajunz 
G
#1 ·
All I want to do was replace my headlight bulbs with new ones. Easy, right? But I can't seem to turn the plastic retaining ring with my fingers, per the owners manual. (Can't do either side.) Am I doing something wrong? If the rings are stuck, any alternative ways to take it apart, or any special tools? Thanks! (1998 Durango)

Freddo

#2 ·
fgebarowski said:
All I want to do was replace my headlight bulbs with new ones. Easy, right? But I can't seem to turn the plastic retaining ring with my fingers, per the owners manual. (Can't do either side.) Am I doing something wrong? If the rings are stuck, any alternative ways to take it apart, or any special tools? Thanks! (1998 Durango)

Freddo
Just give them a good turn to the left. The first time I changed my bulbs my rings were also quite hard to take off. It also helps to take the battery out to change the drivers side. Its hard to get a hand down there with it in the way.

#3 ·
The easiest way is to take the headlight assembly out of the truck!

It is really easy. LOL. First remove the lower amber corner housing. To do this there will be a screw, probably a torx #10 in the outside corner between the headlight and the amber corners. This is the only screw you need to unscrew to remove the corner lights. Pull the corners straight out, it is held on by plastic clips. Remove the bulbs by twisting a 1/4 turn. Now that thing is out of the way it only gets easier. There are three bolts and a ball/joint clip that hold the headlight housing in place. Using a socket wrench with an extender unbolt the three bolts. Then firmly grasp the headlight and pull straight out to free the ball joint clip. Remove the headlight bulb and Bada Bing Foooghetaboutit! Good Luck I hope this helps!

Here is what mine look like:

#4 ·
come on man. ram you arm in there and tear it up like i did mine :jester:

#7 ·
Bamboo said:
Another visual.......it takes less then 5 minutes a side to change the bulbs out. :biggthump
this would explain the plastic fix post :jester:

G
#8 ·
Rock, yes I thought the bottom right bolt was out and it was just the little ball joint holding things up so I just gave it a big tug and snapped it off. I was in a hurry (lesson...don't work on your truck when rushed to get it done.) :cussing:

#9 ·
I know exactly what your talking about. I broke mine putting in the diamond clears :jester: the diamonds came with a new one thank God :biggthump

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.