Dakota Durango Forum banner

how to convert manual windows/locks to power

56K views 49 replies 25 participants last post by  BGEDDES 
#1 · (Edited)
ok, this write up will show you how to convert your manual window/lock truck to power everything using factory parts on an 01 and up truck. i had all of the parts from my wrecked truck, so i decided to swap it all over to the new truck which had manual everything. it is a plug and play install. all you need is some basic knowledge and the required tools it takes to take apart most of the interior. it took me a couple of days to do this swap, but i didnt work on it all day. hope this helps some people..

parts needed:

-CTM from truck that had power accessories
-wiring harness from CTM to power accessories
-both driver and passenger side door harnesses for power accessories
-door panels and switches from power vehicle
-window motors and tracks
-door lock actuators from power vehicle

--first off, disconect the battery. then you have to take apart your interior. i took everything out execpt the dash and rear seat. the front seats, center console, door panels, rear panels (for club cab), A-pillars, carpet and headliner need to come out. after that, take out the wiring harness thats on the floor that goes to the CTM. the harness goes to both doors, the rear of the cab, and up the driver side a-pillar to the overhead console, dome light, and third brake light. as you pull out the harness, make sure to note how it is routed on the driver side and passenger side kick panel area. here is the harness that you pull out.

the black box in this pic is the CTM^^^

--to pull the harness that goes from the door to the cab, pull out the rubber piece on the cab, and there are plugs in there that dissconnect. take off the harness that goes throughout the door. make note on how it is routed. the new one goes in the same way. while you are working on the doors, remove the old manual window tracks and mechanism. make sure to prop up the window so it wont fall down or you can take it out completly. i chose to prop it up.

--once the entire harness is pulled out, take out the ctm. the two plugs on the top and bottom of the ctm are used again. leave those plugged in. take out the one plug in the middle.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
--take out your old door lock actuators and replace them with the new ones. here is a pic of the new one your replacing it with. to take out the old one, take off the three screws from the side of the door. the new one goes in the same way.

--once everything is out, replace the old ctm with the new ctm. it bolts on the same way as the other one. once that is on, plug in you new wiring harness to the ctm. run the harness throughout the truck to where the other plugs need to go. the new harness is ran throughout the truck the same as the older one.

--once you have your harness ran throughout the cab of the truck, install your new harnesses for the doors.

--after your door harnesses are ran, plug in your door lock actuator. then put on your new power window motor and tracks. this picture shows what holes the power window motor bolts into. the bolts are circled in white. the yellow circles show where the tracks bolt up to. the plug for the motor is on the bottom. the tracks may need to be aligned so the window goes up and down smoothly.

--once you have the doors complete, that is pretty much it. make sure you have the rest of the plugs plugged in inside the cab. after everything is plugged in, connect the batterey and make sure everything works. if everything works, re-install the interior and the door panels. now your truck has power windows and locks. a couple of people have asked me how to do this, so i hope this write up will help out some of you guys. let me know if anything else needs to be added. i did this swap about a year ago so i might have skipped over something. as long as you take your time and take note on how everything is routed, this should be an easy swap.

#3 ·
the way the windows mounted to the tracks between the manual and power...are they the same or different?

i have yet to find a power window truck that the glass mounts the same

#4 ·
the glass bolts up to the frame the same way. at least on my 02. the power window motor bolted on the door differently than the manual window mechanism did.

#10 ·
This is awesome work and documentation. This should be "stickied"...

Rep to you. :mullet:

#11 ·
thanks!

i wish i would have taken more pics of the process, but i didnt think i was going to make a write up.

#15 ·
try searching around at your local junkyard.

#18 ·
yes if the truck it came out of had those options. i changed everything over to power and my truck started off as manual everything.

#19 ·
This is exactly what I have been looking for. I have been searching for something like this with pictures and details of what was needed. Rep to you man. Do you still use the same window mounts as the manual ones, but just add the motor? I will be doing this when I get the $$ but this will be for a quad cab which will probably be a little bit different. Also I have no power anything. I have fogs. Is there different CTM's? Also mentioned above is there a CTM that gives you plugs for the Overhead? Sorry for all the questions. :sorry:

#20 ·
when you swap to power windows, you use the whole track with the motor attatched to it and the window attatches the same way. i dont think fog lights are controlled by the ctm. when you get the ctm, make sure that the truck it came out of has power windows, locks, and overhead console if you want the power overhead console. then its just a matter of swapping everthing over.

#22 · (Edited)
Do you still have them? I'm looking for one for a 2001 Durango SLT. Dodge part number on the CTM is 56045453AG. If you have one that will work for me, how much would you want for it? Having problems with the locks continually going off. I've already replaced the Cylinder Lock Switches per the TSB everyone mentions but still having the problem. I don't know what else it could be other than the CTM. Any thoughts?

#23 ·
Will this work with a 97 and 98 dakotas. I will get the parts out of the same year as my truck but the process should pretty much be the same, right?

#26 ·
Difference in 2006?

Hello
This explanation is just great. Thanks for taking the time to do it.
My query is that my son has a 2006 Dakota and we would like to swap the manual locks and windows for power.
Is anyone aware of any differences between the model year used in the post and 2006?
Is it still a matter of getting the right CTM and nothing further into the wiring and control systems than that?
Thanks
Dave

#28 ·
I would really like some input on doing this to the 10 or 11 model. I see this is an old thread but know this is a popular mod.
I am wondering if alot of the wiring harnesses needed and mentioned for older models might now be included or (in there) as everything is so streamlined now.

#29 ·
They still make manual windows and locks? damn. lol

#30 ·
yea i know right lol but i wonder what the diffrence in buying a truck/car with manual and converting to power would be... like if you would spend more doing the power yourself or getting it as a option from the factory

#31 ·
No idea. I've actually got manual stuff as well. I've gotten used to it though, and it doesn't really bother me anymore. One of these days I'll snag a partout and get all the harnesses and motors and stuff I need.

#33 ·
Yeah, low priority at the moment though. I've got a lot more fun mods planned for the foreseeable future. lol

#35 ·
power seats too?

i know this is an old thread but i was just curious if this swap includes power seat(s)? ive got power nothing and i will do this swap im just wondering if i need to find some nice donor seats too

#36 ·
Power seats are very easy. You simply bolt them in and run a power feed to the battery. It's a 30A feed IIRC. If you're doing heated seats, you will basically just add the switches and the wiring harness, and another 20A power feed. That's all self-contained.

#37 ·
was everything to do the swap contained inside the cab as in did you need to add any relays into the fuse block and once you get all the parts its just plug and play? im gathering parts just needing a few more details

#38 ·
Question:
This is for a 2001.
Is it possible to swap this to a 98 and have no issues with everything else?

Originally I have the 98 base CTM with the single green connector. No options for power anything.

Anyways I got myself a set of power doors and now I am swapping my cab and dash so its perfect time for me to do all of this.

I pulled a 99 CTM - HIGH model and the entire cab wiring harness. The HIGH CTM has the green connector and a white one but I seen nowhere the wire that would go into the white one.
If you know where this other connector should go please tell me, I just dont see the wire and I have the entire dash out.

I don't care if I have to go to the scrap yard and tear apart a truck to get all of this, I'm just wondering if anyone put this in a 98 or 99 or 97 and had no other issues. By issues I mean flickering headlights, alarm problems etc..

Thanks to all in advance :mullet:
:drive:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.