Dakota Durango Forum banner

60,000 mile service

5K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Mopar Mike 
#1 ·
Hello to all,

I'm getting ready for the 60,000 mile service on my 01' Durango. Taking it to the dealership, what "real world" price can I expect to pay? It would be greatly appreciated cuz all my X-Mas bill are coming in and what a great time for the service to arrive. I'm so lucky! :-(

rimfire,22 :bow:

#3 ·
dakota g33k said:
you can try a maintenance service quote thru www.partsamerica.com. i did one up for my 30k service, they quoted $800 but the actual cost at the local dealer was $742.

dakota g33k,

Thank for your posting! I just wanted to compare because it was discussed with my dealer and they quoted $1000.00 bucks for the full service. All my bills are coming in and needed to get the calculator out and ready. Yeah $742 is a pretty good price for the full and might feel better.

rimfire,22

#4 ·
What in the service? You can do a lot yourself. If funds are tight, that's reason to learn how. It also does not have to go to the dealer. They are always higher.

#5 ·
Neil said:
What in the service? You can do a lot yourself. If funds are tight, that's reason to learn how. It also does not have to go to the dealer. They are always higher.

Neil,

Dodge dealership and independent mechanics (good ones) are scarce overhere in L.A. Too many laws that govern enviromental and why Chrysler doesn't have more dealers I can't say. Man that one thousand dollar quote is ridiculous.

I wonder if anyone out their manages a dealership that can/could give me the scoop on what needs to be done?

rimfir,22

#6 ·
they called me

dakota g33k said:
you can try a maintenance service quote thru www.partsamerica.com. i did one up for my 30k service, they quoted $800 but the actual cost at the local dealer was $742.

dakota g33k,

The price you quoted was about the same as the dealership I use here in So. California as they called me after send them an e-mail asking for such a quite. That doesn't appear to be so much. I think I can handle that. Thanks for all your imput.

r9imfire,22

#8 ·
rimfire said:
Neil,

Dodge dealership and independent mechanics (good ones) are scarce overhere in L.A. Too many laws that govern enviromental and why Chrysler doesn't have more dealers I can't say. Man that one thousand dollar quote is ridiculous.

I wonder if anyone out their manages a dealership that can/could give me the scoop on what needs to be done?

rimfir,22
So that does not preclude you doing some of the work yourself.

#11 ·
Anthony said:
Rimfire,

Take a look at my site, look under the maintence page. It's not as hard as you think. I have pics and info to help you along. It will save you A TON of money doing it yourself!!! If you can change your oil, you can do basic maintence.

So that is your site that I have book marked. Great site man. Props to you my man!

#12 ·
Anthony said:
Rimfire,

Take a look at my site, look under the maintence page. It's not as hard as you think. I have pics and info to help you along. It will save you A TON of money doing it yourself!!! If you can change your oil, you can do basic maintence.

Nail...head...done...or, give me $999.99 and I'll come to you and complete the service...saving you money...j/k ***time to learn bro, trust us - it's fun**

#15 ·
rt99three60 said:
damn 750 bucks what the hell does a 60k mile service require an engine rebuild kit LOL
rt99three60,

I was told it includes the whole 9 yards plus the kitchen sink! Heck they even offered me a free loaner car. Now that's never been offered to me ever from that dealership. It'll take practically the whole day I was informed.

rimfire,22

#16 ·
Things I'd do at 60k would be to perform a tranny service (do it yourself for <$50), inspect the serpentine belt (which most likely is still good), check the fluid levels in the front and rear diffs and transfer case (should take no more than 20 minutes even for a novice), replace the spark plugs (easy), clean the throttle body (spray some cleaner), lubricate all the grease zerks (they should have been done every oil change), and replace the PCV valve (cake).

Aside from that, I can't think of too much else that needs attention on these.

I'd look for a reputable independent repair shop to do the work. I've found that most used car dealers that deal in later model cars and trucks have very well-staffed service departments, and access to all the important info on each vehicle thru programs like AllData and Mitchell OnDemand. They also work on a variety of vehicles, so their skills usually exceed those at a new car store's. The new car stores around my area don't seem to hire mechanics...They hire people who have the ability to replace parts, not fix them or diagnose why they failed. Case and point...The rear diff in my Jeep had a noise in it caused by a failed carrier bearing. They were notorious for this, and there's a TSB issued on rear diff noise. DaimlerChrysler's fix was to remove the entire rear diff and exchange it with a new one. Why??? The bearings cost me <$60 and it took 3 hours to do it, and it's just as quiet as a brand new unit. It's just that the dealer mechanics do not have the training to properly diagnose or repair components, just replace them with new ones.

#17 ·
I hear ya

Mopar Mike said:
Things I'd do at 60k would be to perform a tranny service (do it yourself for <$50), inspect the serpentine belt (which most likely is still good), check the fluid levels in the front and rear diffs and transfer case (should take no more than 20 minutes even for a novice), replace the spark plugs (easy), clean the throttle body (spray some cleaner), lubricate all the grease zerks (they should have been done every oil change), and replace the PCV valve (cake).

Aside from that, I can't think of too much else that needs attention on these.

I'd look for a reputable independent repair shop to do the work. I've found that most used car dealers that deal in later model cars and trucks have very well-staffed service departments, and access to all the important info on each vehicle thru programs like AllData and Mitchell OnDemand. They also work on a variety of vehicles, so their skills usually exceed those at a new car store's. The new car stores around my area don't seem to hire mechanics...They hire people who have the ability to replace parts, not fix them or diagnose why they failed. Case and point...The rear diff in my Jeep had a noise in it caused by a failed carrier bearing. They were notorious for this, and there's a TSB issued on rear diff noise. DaimlerChrysler's fix was to remove the entire rear diff and exchange it with a new one. Why??? The bearings cost me <$60 and it took 3 hours to do it, and it's just as quiet as a brand new unit. It's just that the dealer mechanics do not have the training to properly diagnose or repair components, just replace them with new ones.

Mopar Mike,

I hear and understand ya! The reason I take mine to the dealer is because if they repair it and mess it up they have to be held responsible for it. My experience with independents is what you usually describe in you last posting. A friend of mine goes to an independent mechanic and all they do is keep it in their lot and ponder what's wrong. The time spend could be almost a full week before a diagnose is made. On his Toyota Camary they made him replace the entire transmission for a rebuilt and he had nothing but trouble with it. My buddy said it made binding and metal noises like their was no tomorrow. For myself I usually go to dealerships because of this reason. Thanks again for your posting.

rimfire,22

#18 ·
Then I'd make certain your dealership is 5-star rated. It helps ensure the integrity of the dealership, and is given by Dodge themselves. The criteria is quite high, you're evaluated regularly, and your rating can be pulled at any time. There's a Dodge dealer in my town that has been in and out of 5-star for several years, and I don't even order parts from them...I go to a dealer that's a half hour away that's earned a very good reputation. Not to mention, they give us a bigger discount on parts, and the accuracy of the order is much better. Rarely do I get a screw-up...Something I definitely cannot afford to have happen when I have a schedule to maintain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.