Dakota Durango Forum banner

R/T leaf springs

8K views 39 replies 8 participants last post by  threesixoh 
#1 ·
I've got some R/T leaf springs I plan to install that weekend. It looks fairly simple, but I'm always open to tips if you have them.

One specific question I have is what size the torx head is on the bolts on the leaf spring eyes? I don't have a torn driver big enough, so I'll need to buy one before I install.

#3 ·
I was a bit worried about that. Any idea on the torx head size?

#6 ·
If you'll have to buy one I can borrow from my neighbor tomorrow to check the size. Don't count on it coming out without heat and an air hammer though.

#7 ·
I'll do what it takes. The R/T springs have good bushings in them, so I'm not worried in the slightest bit about saving the bushings from the old springs. They are probably just going into the trash.

I tried checking my Haynes manual, but it didn't list anything about the torx driver size.

#8 ·
I have the torx bit but to lazy to check. You don't need it anyway if it is not in lock state, unfortunatly most northern trucks are in a seized state. You can use a dog bone along with a socket on the nut side, thus not needing the torx bit.

#9 ·
They'll pop right out with heat since you aren't worried about the bushings. It you need the TORX size still tomorrow let me know and I'll get a bit from my neighbor and check.

#11 ·
So I'm assuming if they are stuck, I'll need new bolts, is that something that is easy to find at autozone? What do I need to know to get new ones? Size, length, etc?

#12 ·
Not sure, honestly I've taken mine off like three times with the same bolts. Heat up the nut and she'll break free. I guess if they break take some measurements. Length, diameter, and threads per inch.

#13 ·
Cool, well I'll just see how it goes then.

#14 ·
Something I noticed on a buddies Jeep Wrangler when we were replacing his clutch. The leaf springs have greaseable bolts on the spring eyes. As in there are grease zerts built into the bolts so you can grease your spring eyes to keep the bolts from seizing to the bushings. Not sure if they will work for our leaf springs, but would be awesome to use.

As far as tips. Before you torque down the spring eye bolts lower the truck down to put weight on the leaf springs.

#15 ·
Thanks, that's what the Haynes said as well. Why is that exactly? I guess it would twist or something when weight would be applied?

#18 ·
So basically just insert the bolts into the eyes and maybe tighten the nut finger tight, drop it down, then tighten. I would have definitely done that wrong. Now let's just hope those bolts don't give me too much trouble. I'm ready for that rear end to be lower. It bothers me that it's so much higher than the front. How much of a drop does the R/T spring give? I might look into some blocks if it doesn't drop enough.

#20 ·
I paid $70 for the whole R/T suspension I think. The PO had already installed the front springs, and shocks, so I sold those for $40ish I think. I sold the rear sway bar for another $40ish. This left me with the front sway bar, leafs, and rear shocks. I think the front sway bar is the same for all daks, so I trashed it. So I actually made $10 off the whole deal. lol.

Only a 1" drop eh? I guess I should start looking into blocks then. I'd say I need a good 2-3" to level her out.

#21 ·
Well that was an abject failure. I spent 2 hours working one 1 fucking bolt and it didn't budge an inch. I couldn't find my torch, so I tried every other method I could think of: cheater bars, shocking loose with a hammer, penetrating lubricant, and nothing worked. I'm going to relax the rest of my day off and tackle it later this week.

So far the score is Leaf springs: 1 Jase: 0

#22 ·
Lol, your first reply to this thread, torch and air hammer. You didn't believe me?

#23 ·
I actually have no idea what an air hammer is to be honest. haha. I'll try the torch thing later this week.

#24 ·
a pneumatic hammer, pull the trigger and gives quick sharp blows. You might not need one if you heat the bolt up nice and hot though. Or you might just have to cut if off.

#25 ·
Got one bolt loose today, the front bolts proved too much for me though. How easy are drop blocks to install?

#26 ·

What do you think, 2" or 3" blocks?

#27 ·
#29 ·
So the one I linked to isn't wrong? I read on the R/T club forum that even though they are longer, they flatten out the springs or something, which is what actually drops it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.