Dakota Durango Forum banner

Serpentine Belt size to bypass AC Compressor on 4.7?

53K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Aptiva 
#1 ·
Anyone know what size or part number the serpentine belt would be to bypass the AC compressor on my 2002 Durango 4.7 4x4? Compressor crapped out again (4th compressor if I include the original). I want to just bypass it until I can get it fixed.

Thanks

#3 ·
With the stock belt installed, take a string and wrap it around the pulley's etc and measure the string. Then buy a belt of the same length. You want to do this with the belt on so that the belt tensioner will be able to apply tension to the new belt. Good luck...

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks to jmaack727 for the link and to Dj Wolf for the schematic. I finally got the compressor removed and used Dj's info to bypass with a shorter serpentine belt. Worked perfectly. The system had a full charge, but the clutch is shot, and on initial investigation the compressor seems like it might be ok. Will check further but think I might try just replacing the clutch when I can. Everyone seems to say that issues with the compressor most always cause the clutch to go bad, but I am wondering if there are exceptions? The Durango has sat idle in the driveway a lot this year, sometimes for weeks at a time, in upstate NY weather. Could that be a factor? There is evidence of rust on the ac clutch assembly, but don't know if it was there before it failed. What do you think?

#10 ·
4in shorter belt worked great even though dumb auto part guy said it never would

My compressor went out and i had to take the compressor off in order to be able to bypass it with a 4in shorter belt but it did work and if I had my proper tools with me to pull just the pully it would have worked without removing the whole thing but its running and sounding great again for a 2003 dodge Durango SLT 4x4 with 290,000 miles on it

#12 ·
Anyone know what size or part number the serpentine belt would be to bypass the AC compressor on my 2002 Durango 4.7 4x4? Compressor crapped out again (4th compressor if I include the original). I want to just bypass it until I can get it fixed.

Thanks
I know this thread is ancient... But I needed this information and still could not find it online in 2022... So the correct belt for my 5.9 liter HEMI 03 Dodge Durango is 900K7 at AutoZone. No need to remove A/C Compressor or Pulley. Just simply install the belt as you normally would, except do not go around the A/C Compressor Pulley.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.